In state vs. Out of State

<p>Is it much harder to get in if you're from out of state? What are my chances?</p>

<p>Race: Asian
SAT: 2040 (630 CR, 730 M, 680 W) on first time; will take again
haven't taken SATIIs yet</p>

<p>GPA: 3.67 unweighted, 4.5 weighted (hardest course load)
Very strong ECs.</p>

<p>I think you have a pretty good chance.</p>

<p>Not if you have the cash.</p>

<p>barrons,
Do you mean I won't have a chance of getting in unless I have cash (don't need any financial aid)?</p>

<p>Admissions is need blind, but you would need to find ways to finance UW in order to attend. You can't count on UW to fund you, unlike some states where they give money to some top OOS students to attract them. You can apply for financial aid but it may be in the form of loans...</p>

<p>The question was is it harder to get in OOS. The answer is no. The reason is they need the tuition $$$$. Hence if you can afford it it's not harder to get in and go. If you need aid, that's tougher.</p>

<p>I'm not sure how UW Wisconsin works (one of my best friends went there), but OOS normally have a harder time because if they keep accepting OOS students, their funding will decrease(why are we paying taxes for you to reject us??!!). The reason OOS fees are higher is not some conspiracy but rather that they need the higher cost to cover the fee that is not covered by the state funds.</p>

<p>My friend who got into the general admission had a 2190 or 2210 (forgot which one) on the SAT and a 3.35 GPA (hardest course load). His admission was obviously because of the SAT.</p>

<p>UW's funding presumes a large number of OOS kids paying tuition. They would like to get the number up a tad.</p>

<p>I see, so OOS students don't suffer any disadvantages. That's different from UW Seattle and the Texas schools.</p>