Incoming Freshman questions - FYE

Hi have got my admission at Purdue and am interested in CS but had opted for Computer engg and hence admitted as FYE.

Most important question - how difficult is to switch from Computer engg to CS at Purdue?
Is it even doable or an average student?

1. How is the food and what dining plan to choose?
  2. Any advice for incoming freshmen
  3. Any other reviews or a must to avoid will be helpful.
  4. How are the academic advisors and how easy is it to get into classes .
  5. Class sizes in freshman year and Student to faculty ratio. Approach to professors and help from them
  6. Are the classes tough and how easy it is for an average students to maintain good grades in classes.
  7. am also worried that will be weeded out from my major (average student here) Hate too much pressure. Like a balanced fun and academic atmosphere. How easy is to declare major at Purdue. (esp from Computer engg to CS)
  8. Possible to change my major to CS (from CSE) during orientation??

Thanks in advance

My son is currently finishing up FYE, so I can answer some of your questions. I have heard switching into either CS or Engineering is tough. However, I would STRONGLY encourage you to call Purdue and ask to speak to an advisor in CS. Everyone at Purdue is VERY helpful, and we called about a few items last year. Rather than posting on here and getting info about switching majors third hand you should get the info directly from the source.

The food is very good (according to my son). Lots of good options in the dining halls and the various food stations around campus. My son did the unlimited because the cost differential wasn’t high, and we just didn’t know what to choose. However, he probably would have been fine on a lower food plan.

My son has not had any issues getting into classes for FYE.

You say you are an average student, but I assume you mean average for FYE (which is certainly not an average student). I would say my son’s stats were pretty average for FYE, so I can tell you about his class experiences. First of all, Purdue math and science classes are not easy. However, they are certainly doable (for an average FYE kid). Plus, If you get a D or F you can retake the class the next semester and replace the grade (lots of kids do this from what I hear). I would say that the number one indicator of how you will do is related to the type of classes you took in high school and how tough your high school was. If you took easy classes in order to get all As in high school you will struggle more than a kid who maybe got some Bs but took rigorous classes at a rigorous high school.

My son (average FYE) is doing fine (A- to B average) while pledging a fraternity and having an active social life. He did get a C first semester in 1 class mostly because of the frat thing (midterms during hell week). He would obviously do better if all he did was study, but an important part of college is having fun.

Best of luck.

Good questions. I’m tagging along to read the first-hand experiences with switching FYE to CS or post FYE to CS.

@funding- applied for a change of major sometime back and got admitted to CS. However budget wise Penn State seemed to work and hence decided to commit to Penn State.