Industrial Design and ME Double Major - Insanity?

<p>I am interested in attending Virginia Tech for their Industrial Design program. However, I feel like I want an engineering background as well. I don't want to go through Industrial Design only to come out with a 'worthless' degree that is too artsy. </p>

<p>So, I want to double major in Mechanical Engineering. I realize that I won't be able to graduate in four years. I set up a tentative 'mock schedule', and figured out that I can graduate in five years with one summer semester, and I would usually take between 15-17 credit hours at a time. (I will come in with all of my general education satisfied by AP Courses). </p>

<p>I really need some input as to whether this is absolutely insane, though. I realize it would be a lot of hard work, and that these are two of the most time-consuming majors. But would it be worth it in the end, and would it be doable? Are there regularly students who complete double majors in the CAUS and Engineering departments?</p>

<p>Feedback and opinions are very appreciated. Please, don't be afraid to let me know if you think this is just plain crazy. It's definitely better for me to figure that out now, as opposed to after I'm already knee deep in assignments. </p>

<p>I want to make this work, but is it feasible?</p>

<p>No, that is not at all feasible. ID has a massive out of class commitment that will make keeping your grades up in ME impossible. Also each major has required classes that must be taken in sequence, and if two are at the same time you’ll have no option but a 6th year, minimum. Don’t try this; I’d be surprised if VT would even let someone try that.</p>

<p>you can easily major in mechanical and get a minor in industrial design:</p>

<p><a href=“Schools | College of Architecture, Arts, and Design | Virginia Tech”>Schools | College of Architecture, Arts, and Design | Virginia Tech;

<p>also [url=&lt;a href=“http://www.me.vt.edu/academic_programs/undergraduate/courseselection.html#7]Course”&gt;http://www.me.vt.edu/academic_programs/undergraduate/courseselection.html#7]Course</a> Selection | Department of Mechanical Engineering | Virginia Tech<a href=“scroll%20down%20to%20majors%20and%20second%20minors”>/url</a></p>

<p>I didn’t even bother reading your post. And if you haven’t even been to VT for a semester yet, don’t try and do everything and think the plan in your head will be what will really happen. </p>

<p>My friend said he was going to do big things and college like you right now… planned on double majoring in Chemical Engineering and Economics. One semester passed and he realized he wasn’t as bright as he thought he was and wasn’t nearly as motivated as he thought he was and became a Marketing major his second semester even though he’s not even a personable person to begin with. </p>

<p>At least go to VT for a semester and see how things work out and see if you actually have time to complete whatever your goals are in a reasonable time frame.</p>

<p>Thanks everybody; I really appreciate your honesty. I have my feet on the ground again- I think I’ll end up applying for Industrial Design, and maybe try to do a minor in business. I guess it’s more important that I’m doing something I love, rather than just chasing after a second degree I’m not passionate about because I think it will ‘look good’. Thanks again!</p>

<p>planes, I’ll say this as a mom of an upperclassman in CAUS…you’ll need to love ID to want to do it. If not, the amount of time you spend on it will not seem to be worth the sacrifice. Double majoring will be extremely hard…even minoring will be a huge undertaking. Those intense design fields…I just know I would never have survived! :)</p>

<p>Best of luck to you as you begin the journey!</p>

<p>Hey I am currently a 2nd year in ID, and I came across your post. I feel the same way about wanting something to “complement” just an ID major with something else. I considered the business minor, just look into it first. It is by far the most time consuming minor on campus; over 60 credits. I know people who have tried it for a year and then ended up dropping because of the stress with studio. </p>

<p>There are other options though, I am currently deciding between a psychology minor or a packaging minor (or both haha). </p>

<p>Either way, the majority of students graduate from the program with just the major and make out just fine. Let me know if you have any questions about the major or planning out your years.</p>

<p>I’ve looked into it, and I think it should work out fine for me. I should literally have zero general education requirements left to fulfill (thanks to AP credits) and I’ll even have two or three of the business courses out of the way. </p>

<p>I also looked at Packaging Science, but like you said, there’s no way I would have time for two minors if I wanted to do a business minor. Could you tell me more about what PS is, exactly, though? I was having a hard time grasping exactly what kinds of things you might learn. The class titles sounded…boring, to say the least? But I figure there has to be more to it than just loading and unloading crates!</p>

<p>Hey man, sorry this reply is so late. </p>

<p>I have looked into the minor a bit more and recently requested to add it starting in the fall. It is 18 credits (6 classes) and is listed under “Sustainable Biomaterials.” There are advertisements for it all over campus. They appear to be trying to revamp the program and make it less “boring” as you said. </p>

<p>Basically, it deals with all aspects of the packaging process. Anything from environmental efficiency, materials, design, transportation, etc. Seems like a good way to learn more about materials, and cultivate design skills. After talking to professors, it generally makes you more marketable when finding internships and jobs because you have a niche. </p>

<p>Also packaging is the 3rd largest industry in the world.</p>

<p>Something else to think about… I heard today that they are potentially adding a Visual Communication Design minor. Could fit nicely with ID.</p>

<p>Let me know if you have any other questions</p>

<p>That would be awesome if they added a VCD minor…it’s definitely something I would want to consider! Hah, there’s just too much I want to do and not enough time. I’m basically tied to the business minor, because both of my parents are very business-oriented people and want to make sure that I have a practical aspect to my education. So unless I wanted to stay another year just for more minors…I don’t think I’d have time to study either PS or VCD, unfortunately :(</p>