Information Request (From Parent) - on Changes and Engineering locations

My Son is really interested in TAMU CS program as Out of State applicant.

My understanding is that first you will be admitted to General Engineering and later based on grades of 1st year, you will be placed into desired major.

1. Where is CS major at? Is that available in Galveston/McAllen? We are interested in College Station campus only. The literature said 87% of the students were placed in their 1st choice and wondering if CS is in other locations.

2. How difficult is to be placed in CS (College Station as I am not sure if it’s available in Galveston or McAllen, out primary/only preference is College Station)

3)What are the chances for - 1500 SAT/3.85 UW / 4.2 W GPA from a STEM magnet highly rigorous school, not a lot of EC’s, 10+ AP’s

Thank you for your help

@georgiaflorida All applicants to engineering to Texas A&M will undergo holistic review for the engineering major, whether they are auto admit to the university (Texas resident top 10% class rank), academic admit to the university (1360 minumum SAT or ACT score with minimum sub scores and top quarter class ranking) open to in state, out of state and international applicants or review applicants to the university.

There are three types of engineering decisions offered when applying to Texas A&M. Full admissions to College Station general engineering, first year general engineering at Galveston, and Blinn Engineering Academy. I am not familiar with the engineering academy so I cannot speak to that directly. As for College Station and Galveston general engineering, the students all take the same classes pretty much. Calculus 151 and 152, Chem. 107/111, Physics 208, and ENGR 111 and 112 (at a minimum).

In April of their freshman year, if the student has passed the above courses with a minimum of a C, they will apply to their major. It is a holistic application process. A 3.5 GPA guarantees an applicant their first choice major, such as computer science or mechanical. 87% of those qualified to apply to major, got their first choice. Some got their second choice and some their 5th choice. Some didn’t get their top 5 and had to be placed in a major that had openings. Those who did not satisfy the requirements, say, made a D in Math 151, had to retake that class the second semester and were unable to apply for their major. If they passed the class the second time with a C or better, then they took Math 152 the fall of their sophomore year and they applied to their major in November and will find out the decisions in January. That was their final opportunity to apply to a major. If they did not complete the class(es) they needed to apply to major with a C or better, they will removed from the engineering program.

If a student is offered general engineering at Galveston, that student will complete the required courses at that campus instead of College Station and will automatically transition to the College Station campus for the remainder of their degree after they have applied to and been accepted into an engineering major.

With the engineering at McAllen, it too looks as though only general engineering classes are offered and they too apply to a major to be completed at College Station.

Here are the stats for students who received admissions into computer science this past spring https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major/resources/analysis-spring-2017-admission-cycle/cpsc
And computer enginieering-computer science track https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major/resources/analysis-spring-2017-admission-cycle/cecn

Hope this answers your questions