Iowa Early Decision?

Did anyone apply to the University of Iowa for nursing via Early Decision? My DD17 is planning to apply next year and we are interested in hearing if anyone has had any experience with their program. Thanks!

It is next to impossible to get a spot. My daughter had straight As (4.0 uw/4.3 weighted), 8 APs, Great ECs, 33/34 super score, volunteered for three years at a hospital, etc… Her essays were top notch too. She got into every college she applied to (Villanova, BC, TCU, Clemson, Purdue, Marquette, SLU, TN, MN, St. Marys) and many with a ton of merit money. Not sure why she doesn’t have a spot at Iowa yet even though she is way above their average from last year of 29 Act/4.02 GPA. We are dumbfounded…

Are you an Iowa resident?

No

That could be your answer.

From what I’ve seen from the posted BSN class profiles (I’ve been watching them for a while) they seem to take at least 50% from out of state. I know they take a much smaller class than the rest of the Big 10 schools. We go for an official visit in April and I’m curious to hear what percent of applicants they accept.

@thinkbig14 you may be able to get some insight from @Flo123 whose daughter is in nursing at Iowa.

@thinkbig14 your DD has amazing choices, though. Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing what she chooses.

@thinkbig14 That is really odd. Did your D apply Early Decision or Direct Admission? And, she has not heard yet? Does anyone know how many seats are filled ED vs. DA?

Its very odd whether she’s in state or out of state. Their average last year was a 29/4.02 weighted. She blows those numbers away. She applied Early Decision but wasn’t offered a spot and then got thrown in the regular pool. Nine people turned down spots and she still wasn’t offered a spot yet. We’ve asked if there was anything wrong or missing from her application and they said not it’s a strong app. We’ve been told from outside sources that maybe her numbers were too good which stinks b/c that’s where she REALLY wants to go. It’s a sad and disheartening process…

@thinkbig14 That totally stinks. Now I’m concerned, as my D20 has stats well over that average as well, and it’s her #1 choice as well. You would think applying ED would seal the deal…you WILL attend. I’m sad for your D, but I’m really hoping her stats weren’t ‘too good’. I assume she won’t attempt competitive admission at Iowa if she isn’t eventually accepted? Good luck to her, she has other great choices.

No she won’t. She sees no point when she is in nine other schools direct admit. We can’t take the chance. You never know if they catch mono or are homesick or how the freshman year goes. The best advice we got when she shadowed nurses was no matter what do direct admit. Several had to switch schools b/c it was so competitive and such a hard college experience. No matter what she will choose direct admit…

@thinkbig14 I’m just thinking about the fact that 9 people turned down spots. 9 people who applied binding ED turned down spots?! I did not think that would ever happen.

Last year they had to go back to the regular pool 25 times. Maybe this year they wanted their yield higher and accepted candidates that they thought would for sure take the spot…

@tae1970 That is crazy, you’re right. Is it just people not understanding what ED is? Or is it that it’s just a quasi-ED that people aren’t taking seriously? (what other school has ED for just one program?)

@thinkbig14 did your daughter send a letter of continued interest? Some schools say not to, but sounds like many send them. Also, do you mind sharing how you have heard about the numbers turning down ED? I’m still dumbfounded…

We sent a beautiful well written one to the email they told us to send questions. It got stuck in spam for four weeks before they responded which is sad b/c she spent so much time and effort on it. By the time it got read, nine more people were offered declined spots. We’ve reached out twice since then and met with them w them when they came to our local area, but nothing has really helped. We got the number directly from them. They are honest about the status of the 80 spots which is great, but unfortunately they don’t rank their regular application pool. Good luck to you D. With most schools, it’s been such a great process. Iowa has just been tough and we just really didn’t expect it to be this hard. There are so many great options out there tho.

@tae1970 We looked at University of Iowa but my kid decided not to apply as the four year language requirement. Make sure your daughter meets the requirements especially physics as that is not required everywhere. Below are the requirements as of now. When I looked last year there was only four years of a language or 2 years of two languages. Now it seems they have added another provision.

University of Iowa wrote on the website
"Early admission to the College of Nursing is designed for high- achieving high school students. There are two application options available: Early Decision or Direct Admission. To be eligible for either the Early Decision or Direct Admission, you must:

Minimum 28 ACT Composite score, or a minimum 1300 on the SAT score
Minimum 3.8 or higher cumulative GPA (can be weighted or unweighted)
4 years of High School English
1 year of Biology
1 year of Chemistry
1 year of Physics
4 years (fourth level proficiency) of the same world language, or two years (second level proficiency) in two different world languages, or two years of the same world language plus additional required coursework
Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry
3 years of Social Studies"

@thinkbig14 First, I am sorry your daughter has not been admitted yet. It is tough when your kid gets into a lot of great places but wants to be at one that has not shown her the love yet. Second Congratulations on all her acceptances and her stats!

@thinkbig14 Yes, I’m sorry that happened to your D. My D20 has similar stats, and Iowa is her first choice. I’m hoping not to have the same issue. Do you get the feeling that the entire class is filled by ED, or are there Direct Admission spots? And, where is your D19 leaning, if you can share?

@readthetealeaves I’m not clear on what the other ‘provision’ is that you mentioned? D20 is lucky to satisfy these requirements, but I’m wondering what’s changed?