Is all this possible?

<p>Looks like DS will be attending UA. He also had full tuition from Temple, in state, but doesn’t want to go there.</p>

<p>He is looking at double major of computer engineering and math. He is also probably going to have to try and get some part time job to help w/ spending money. “I” want him to Finish in Four. He will need to maintain a 3.0 to maintain the Pres scholarship.</p>

<p>I do want him to also find time to enjoy himself. </p>

<p>Is all this possible? or are we expecting too much? What should the considerations be?</p>

<p>He can always try and see if he can complete math as a second major. He may find that he can only do a minor and that’s fine, too.</p>

<p>If he wants to have a part-time job, then likely a double STEM major isn’t likely do-able unless he’s coming in with a whole bunch of needed AP credits (not just extras).</p>

<p>Both of those majors take a LOT of time. </p>

<p>laralei It is doable but not recommended at least for freshman year. If he wants to be in honors, he will need to maintain at least a 3.3 GPA and STEM to MBA is only offered to freshman so if he wants to do that program it will require an additional course per semester. I also believe he was interested in CBH. If so, that will require an additional course every semester so a double STEM might be quite a stretch in 4 years.</p>

<p>The presidential scholarship will cover ALL courses taken but too many credits per semester will be taxing especially in his first semester when one needs time to get up to speed and get familiar with the workings of college life. The pro and con of applying a lot of AP credits are the obvious of having higher standing and allowing for more higher level course work, but the draw back is that the higher level courses especially in STEM might result in lower GPA. Unless your child is super strong in Math and Sciences, it is advisable to take Calc I and Chem I etc. freshman year to get a good start with one’s GPA and get the firm foundation needed for STEM majors.</p>

<p>I’m a current freshman double majoring in mechanical and aerospace engineering and the stem mba. i took my freshman year off of work but plan to start working sophomore year. My suggestion if he wants to do CBH don’t double major and wait to work til sophomore year. My roommates are in CBH and it seems very fun but they are constantly programming and doing CBH things. The stem mba class isn’t much at all. Easy tests once a week that are online and basically no homework other than 2 projects. stem MBA isn’t much of a time commitment but CBH is. While it is time consuming I would highly recommend checking out the CBH program. I definitely think it’s doable. I’m a terrible procrastinator and I managing a double major and stem MBA. Also if he wanted to there’s a program called early college which I did this past summer and would highly recommend. It helped me a LOT!</p>

<p>It is very doable. Compared to just the computer engineering major, adding a double in math is only 6 additional credits. </p>

<p><a href=“Double Major in Math – Electrical and Computer Engineering | The University of Alabama”>http://ece.eng.ua.edu/undergraduate/double-major-in-math/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>It was a long time ago, but my wife doubled in math and computer science, took some “just for fun” classes, worked at campus bookstore, went to a party or two, and graduated magna cum laude in 3 years</p>

<p>Does he have AP credits or dual enrollment credits going in? If so, it would make it a lot easier. </p>

<p>Chardo the double per your link requires a 5th year. OP wanted to complete in 4 years.</p>

<p>^ Doable in 4 years with AP credits. One would hope someone contemplating such a double major has a good number of AP credits.</p>

<p>He will be in honors only, no CBH. </p>

<p>He has AP credit for history. This year he is taking AP Calc, AP Physics, and AP Computer Science. If he tests for them and does well enough, does this allow him to test out of some of the first year classes? If so, should he for these subjects?</p>

<p>Dual enrollment did not offer much, plus it would have been $600 per class, and added expense we could not afford.</p>

<p>I don’t know if it would be worth it for him to try and take CLEP at this point? Maybe for the humanities? </p>

<p>I did see the 5 year plan for the double major, but it is only 6 credits in that 5th year… Could they not be taken during the other 4 years, as some semesters are somewhat light at 15 credits?</p>

<p>Yes you can overload semesters to squeeze in those additional classes, but it’s already a difficult schedule. You might prefer summer session at your local community college. You can take a non-major course, perhaps a liberal arts elective, to get those needed credits. Might even meet your future spouse there, like I did.</p>

<p>Keep frosh fall semester under control. There’s a lot to adjust to and many stumble that first semester.</p>

<p>Mom of junior EE (not ECE) major, math minor who came in with many AP credits (enough to fulfill all the humanities and all but 3 hours of SB). While there are some superstar students who could do all of the above, I would guess that since you are asking if it’s possible, your son is not one of the rare exceptions. </p>

<p>Can your son take CLEP for Spanish or another foreign language?</p>

<p>Regardless of a student being eligible for Work Study or not, consider that Work Study students are typically scheduled for 10 hours per week during what would be their freshman year, but can go up to 12 hours if needed. Upperclassmen are typically scheduled for 15 hours per week, but can work a maximum of 20. For many students, these limits are very doable. For example, a student with only a couple classes on Friday might be able to work for 5 hours that day. Add in a couple 2 hour shifts on other days and 10 hours per week looks very doable. 10 hours of work would get the student around $60, which can buy a fair amount of things. I loved working at UA as a student employee.</p>

<p>DS is in his third year of EE/ Physics double major with honors and math minor. He is on track to graduate in 4 years. He is doing research in both EE and Physics averaging 15 hours work per week. Be has been on Deans List every semester. He entered UA with enogh AP, CLEP and Dual Enrollment credits to be a sophomore. It is possible!</p>

<p>^^@laralei…if your Son is somewhat proficient in a foreign language, I’d suggest going the CLEP route. At my behest, my somewhat proficient (in Spanish) but not terribly proficient Son studied for two weeks (a year after his last Spanish class - Honors Spanish III) took the test this summer and scored well enough for 14 credits at Alabama. Really worth a shot if it would garner this many credits.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>This year he is taking AP Calc, AP Physics, and AP Computer Science. If he tests for them and does well enough, does this allow him to test out of some of the first year classes? If so, should he for these subjects?</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>the History is 6 credits that take care of the Sequence. </p>

<p>If he tests well for his current APs, then he can use those IF he feels confident in what he learned. </p>

<p>I would STRONGLY recommend self-learning AP English Comp…it is very EASY to self-teach. My younger son couldn’t fit an AP English in his schedule, so we bought a AP English Comp practice book, he spent very little time with it, we had his GC order him an exam, he took it, and got either a 4 or 5 on the exam…good enough to get credit for BOTH FROSH COMP classes (which would have been a time-consuming frustration for him as a frosh engineering student). </p>

<p>I agree with M2CK and recommend the self study for AP Comp. If he can bypass Freshman Comp classes that can open up 2 more spaces in his schedule.</p>

<p>I also do not recommend a job Fall semester. My kid spent very little money his first semester. He spent money on a club sport and some dorm items. The Bama Dining Plan requires $325 (or $350?) in Dining Dollars. Those could be used at many area restaurants. </p>

<p>My son considered a double major (Aero Engineering and Math), but after speaking with many professionals, decided it was not beneficial for job or grad school. Currently (just completed his third semester) he is only going to complete a Math minor. He would rather take some interesting Honors courses and allow some room in his schedule for flexibility. It may turn out he does get the Math major in 4 years, but that will be icing on the cake.</p>

<p>If your son goes in with AP Calc credit and wishes to Math major, I would suggest jumping into Calc III. My son had no issues with that. Although my son opted to not take summer courses, both Linear Alg and Dif Equations were approved by UA to be taken at our Pennsylvania Community College over the summer.</p>

<p>@Longhaul, is there a place to check which OOS colleges are approved by UA or does the student just put in a request on an individual basis?</p>

<p>Is this what you are looking for?</p>

<p>Transfer Course Equivalency Home Page</p>

<p><a href=“Transfer Credit Equivalency Home Page”>https://ssb.ua.edu/pls/PROD/rtstreq.P_Searchtype&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thanks, @AlbionGirl‌!</p>