Is CC selling my email address?

Lately we are being asked in a popup about privacy and cookie preferences. Repeatedly, i have set these at the most private, necessary-only setting. But i keep getting the same popup. Recently i may have inadvertently hit the wrong button while viewing on a cell phone, and now i dont get the popup, but i am being flooded with emails regarding things that college bound families might buy,like linens. How do i reset this?

@CC_Jon

I don’t know about CC, but if you are signed up for any other college emails, it’s just as likely you’re getting those types of emails due to that. Are you signed up for any colleges’ websites? College Board, ACT, Cappex, etc…are doing the same thing.

I’m signed up for a ton of those websites btw, but the only targeted college related emails I get currently are from my kids’ colleges.

Hmmm, I have a pop up blocker on and I have not received anything about privacy settings. It does, however, take a very long time for each page to load before the ad is blocked.

I went into my settings to see if there was anyway to prevent selling my data. I can’t find it. However, on a different topic, I have my emails settings set to NEVER. Last week, I received an email from CC (subject: LIVE NOW! Join this Q&A with an Admissions Officer from UChicago!) It appears that there is no way to prevent marketing emails from CC.

Hmmm, now I get a bottom of the screen popup that does offer the option of rejecting all cookies.

How can I stop seeing Facebook posts from this forum?

I think you need to change your ad settings on FB.

It’s not an ad. It’s a post from College Confidential. Definitely NOT an ad.

Ah but it just checked…and apparently at some point I “followed” CC.

2 Likes

Considered addiction counseling?

1 Like

FWIW, for CC I’m using a different email address than the one my daughter had used for college/grad school applications. Other than the occasional relative from the Nigerian-caucasian branch of the familiy leaving me gazillions, my email address gets no college/dorm/moving/home-decorating related spam at all.

So either CC lost my email address, or they are not the source.

However, visiting themed web sites while also maintaining social media accounts, or just remaining “logged in” to your favorite “browser” account, will allow companies that DO have your email address on account make the “connection” that you’re currently interested in web sites related to topic “X”.

Most web sites embed all kind of third party scripts (you don’t see), from web analytics, to generating buttons to “like us on …” Without you ever having clicked on anything, those third party sites are then able to pull together a picture of your “online persona”.

Similar to how all the banner ads on all web sites suddenly show the same Amazon goodies just because you had searched for a portable Oxygen generator for your elderly grand-aunt.

1 Like

Yes. The purpose of this popup is to comply with state and international regulations. (I’ve included some screenshots in this announcement.)

Is this still happening? After you update your settings on a browser/device, you should only see a little cookie icon:

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 2.39.32 PM

We do occasionally share email addresses with schools and educational services providers. This is quite limited, however, and we don’t sell your data to random companies. For more detailed information, please see our privacy policy.

It’s more likely that these emails are coming from some other source. It reminds me of the time I purchased an inflatable kayak and immediately began seeing ads for inflatable kayaks! I’m not sure how many inflatable kayaks they thought I needed.

At least it was kayaks. After I bought my dad a toilet chair, I got ads for them for many months!