Is Cornell Hotel School [which does not use SAT/ACT] too far out of reach? Please chance a low-GPA, high SAT [3.3586/1560] first-gen student with MAJOR extenuating circumstances

Demographics: Brazilian/Latino Male, Texas, Public School, First-Generation, (recently) upper class.(Financials are not a factor anymore in my decisions.)

Intended Major(s): Political Science, International Relations, Hospitality/Business Management

ACT/SAT: 1560 SAT (790 English, 770 Math)

UW/W GPA and Rank:
3.3586 Weighted
3.5964 Unweighted
With my weighted GPA, I’m ranked 272 / 743.
(I know this is terrible, but please understand my circumstances. I had to work to support my immigrant family business for my entire time high school, which included 7 hour shifts on top of school managing and cooking at our restaurant. My parents prohibited me from taking AP or honors classes for my freshman and sophomore years in order to commit more time to work, and I was discouraged from prioritizing academics by my family. I was not going to apply to college at all until this summer. Also, my school has INSANE grade deflation…)

Coursework: 9 APs (5 Junior year, 4 online through dual enrollment with Texas Tech; most AP classes were taken online after the exam dates, so thats why I took so few exams.)
AP Biology
AP Spanish (4)
AP English Lang (5)
AP US History (5)
AP Environmental Science
AP Literature
AP Macroeconomics
AP Government
AP Psychology (4)

Awards:

• Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX) Scholarship Recipient (1-2% acceptance rate; awarded full scholarship by the state department to study and intern in Germany for a full year. I am currently on the program, and I graduated high school early in order to participate in the program without having to take a gap year. I am doing a year of school here, so I will have extra classes added to my transcript.)
  • Sunrise Movement Fellowship Recipient (1 of 10 finalists): Awarded $1,000/mo grant to start an environmental activism group.
  • College Board National Hispanic Recognition Award
  • AP Scholar with Honor Award

Extracurriculars:
-Restaurant Manager at my family business for 4 years. Full time for 35 hours per week, ~50 weeks per year. I had to run literally everything – staffing, invoicing, scheduling, inventory, etc. (This is why my grades are so bad. Especially during COVID, I had to devote literally every hour to this.)
-U.S. State Department Youth Ambassador through the Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX) Scholarship. This is merit-based and considered very prestegious.
-Education Department Research Director at a nationally recognized civics organization. I lead a 10-person research team studying civics curriculum standards in the US, and we got my research presented at the 2023 AP conference in order to incorporate more civics curriculum into high school classes.
-Congressional Intern where I engaged in legislative research, event organization, and policy analysis while handling correspondence with constituents.
-Founded 50+ member climate org. chapter where I mobilized my community with youth-led actions and organized events/workshops. My organization won CSBP grants and local city ordinances related to climate justice.
-Started business selling restaurant supplies to small businesses, generating $50,000+ in revenue. Managed inventory, logistics, and finances while sourcing products.
-Started a catering business providing services for events of up to 250+ people, including corporate functions and mayoral inaugurations where I generated over $10,000 in profit.
-Political science club president. I organized biweekly meetings, hosted speakers, planned events promoting civic engagement, and led voter registration drives. Recruited 40+ members.
-Business Professionals of America president of recruitment
-Im leaving this activity slot blank because i might intern with my bundestag representative.

Essays:
Essays: 8 or 9/10. I am going to talk about the apron Ive worn working at my family’s restraunt, and how it connects to different aspects of my life.

LORS:
6/10 from Spanish teacher and APUSH teacher.
9/10 from high school counselor. She helped me graduate early and is letting me add plenty of stuff to the letter that helps explain my extenuating circumstances.
7/10 from US Congressman that I interned for.

Schools: I am thinking about applying ED to Cornell’s hotel school. My application is VERY heavily focused on the restaurant/hospitality industry, which is HEAVILY weighted in their application process. Also, theyre known for having a larger acceptance rate than the other colleges at cornell. The issue is that they are test-blind, so they wont even look at one of the strongest parts of my application. I am also considering applying ED to NYU because of their leniency with GPA, but of course that is still a crazy reach. Please let me know if an ED to cornell hotel school is a waste of my early decision. Do I have any shot at all at Cornell Hotel School? If I do not get into any of these reach schools, I will do community college and transfer. Please let me know of any other target/saftey schools that I could apply to!

Reaches:
Cornell Hotel School (ED)
Bates College (ED2 with insane demonstrated interest)
New York University
Carleton College
Middlebury College
Northeastern
Boston College
Boston University
UT Austin

• Several Others I wont list

Targets:
SMU (Legacy)
Syracuse

Saftey:
University of Alabama (Full ride with National Hispanic Recognition Award)
Community College + Transfer

I don’t know enough about the Cornell hotel school to chance you, but I’m curious about this…

How can you be a first generation applicant if you’re a legacy at SMU?

10 Likes

Apply to Cornell and see. Your school counselor should be able to address your family help, etc in their counselor letter. I think you have as good a chance as everyone else…and a compelling story. And your ECs speak well of your hospitality experience.

If it’s affordable and you really want to do hospitality…add University of South Carolina to your list. They have a strong hospitality program.

Johnson and Wales in Rhode Island is another. Again…cost needs to be explored.

Why did you graduate early? Make sure this gets addressed too…because it’s quite possible your GPA could have gone up with an additional year of high school.

Most colleges want only two letters of reference and clearly state that. This doesn’t include the school counselor letter. You need to make sure you send the best letters from the best choices and usually academic teachers are the best choice. Because that’s what colleges want. If a college allows additional LOR, that’s when you send the others.

6 Likes

You are a stronger candidate than most that I see on CC. I can’t chance you, but I would guess your chances are better than most. Your story/background is compelling.

4 Likes

Word of caution - the Hotel school is very much about fit. I’m concerned the first major you listed was political science. That’s not a major in the Hotel school. Be aware that Cornell is very very sensitive to students trying to apply to “easier” colleges and then trying to do internal transfers. You are going to need to be very focused on hospitality management in your application and essay.

3 Likes

I assume you switched your weighted and unweighted.

Hotel is test free. They won’t see your score.

I don’t see you getting into Cornell regardless.

Why Bates and Middlebury?. Bates, because of ED, is possible. They have a high rate but it makes no sense. Your list doesn’t make sense if hotel is the desire. Or do you just think it’s the easiest way into Cornell ? If so don’t game. Go for your major. What major do you truly want ?

If you want hospitality, look at UNLV, Michigan State, Virginia Tech, UCF, Washington State, U Houston.

Frankly, given your experience, maybe hospitality isn’t necessary vs general business which could open you to more.

You may get into SMU and Syracuse. Your ED would be smarter at each. Bama is a given and has hospitality. The scholarship is not a given but the $28k merit is.

https://admissions.cornell.edu/policies/standardized-testing-policy#:~:text=Cornell%20University%20Extends%20Test-Optional,SAT%20or%20ACT%20exam%20scores.

@Lucca why not apply to UHouston Hilton Hospitality School? It’s ranked as one of the best, if you’re wanting to go into hotel/hospitality. Their facilities are second to none!

3 Likes

Love your resume and wish you well. Very accomplished! As a safety look at Univ Denver Hospitality program, they give good merit and will look at your test score. Good luck - Cornell would be lucky to have you.

2 Likes

Cornell is a long shot, but there’s no harm in trying, unless it’s costing you an ED application to a better-fit school.

You have an odd mix of urban schools and very-much-not urban schools. I would understand Cornell in the mix since they have so much infrastructure of their own and such a top-tier hospitality program. But… why Bates, Middlebury, and Carleton? These are both rural and have no hospitality program. (So, it’s hard to tell whether hospitality is really important to you, or not.)

You might consider U of San Francisco (a Jesuit school like BC), where the hospitality program is part of the undergrad business school, and has great connections in the industry, both in the city and in surrounding areas like Sonoma/Napa wine country https://www.usfca.edu/management/programs/undergraduate/hospitality-management USF would give you a more LAC-like experience, with solid offerings in all of your areas of interest, and flexibility to move between or blend programs. I’ve heard nothing but good things from my daughters’ friends who have gone there.

College of Charleston is another with hospitality in the business school, and great internship opportunities in the city Hospitality and Tourism Management - College of Charleston

And U of Denver, already mentioned, is another https://daniels.du.edu/hospitality-management/ DU is also particularly strong in International Relations. You could also apply to their Pioneer Leadership cohort program.

Since you seem to be interested in the Boston area, you might want to also look at Babson and Brandeis. Babson is business-focused and extremely well-regarded for all things entrepreneurship-oriented. I think they would value your experience and back-story. They don’t have a specific hospitality major, but they have resources and a good-sized student organization for students interested in this field. Babson students can cross-register at both Brandeis and Wellesley.

Brandeis is strong in your other areas of interest, especially international studies/relations/business. Lots of cross-reg opportunities: “Full-time Brandeis students enjoy cross-registration privileges with Babson College, Bentley University and Wellesley College, as well as with Olin College of Engineering, and the undergraduate schools of arts and sciences at Boston College, Boston University and Tufts University. Under this program students may earn credit toward the Brandeis degree without payment of additional tuition through satisfactory completion of courses taken on these neighboring campuses.”

4 Likes

I agree with an earlier comment - in my experience with Cornell, acceptance seems very much linked to fit - particularly outside of Arts and Science. And I do think your background is a good fit for the Hotel school. Many of my D’s friends were in the Hotel school and they all were passionate about hospitality and had significant related experience (a requirement for acceptance); I believe they will find your role at your family’s restaurant compelling and consistent with the commitment they seek. I would not rule it out just because people here feel your chances are slim. My only caveat to that is if you feel your ED is better used elsewhere - meaning at a school where you are a clear match and ED would make you a highly likely (I personally would not swap ED at Cornell for NYU). Good luck!

1 Like

The bigger issue is what does OP want to study ? It’s like they are applying to Cornell as a way in but based on the overall list most these schools don’t have hotel/hospitality.

And hotel will not see his great test score. So if he’s looking to game maybe it should be ILR.

96% rank in the top quarter of the class and he’s not close.

I find it hard to believe there’s any chance at Cornell but did not say not apply. You never know but I did suggest the ED would be better at SU or SMU.

OP needs to be clear about his major intentions so the evaluation can be proper.

It’s hard to give targets and matches without knowing what OP wants to study. Reading further they know the test doesn’t count and it appears the hotel school angle is to optimize admission And that’s the wrong way to apply and get accepted to a school. OP also says if not Cornell or NYU or the other reaches, they are going to a CC yet lists SU, SMU Alabama, etc.

OP need you to be very clear but while I’m not opposed to anyone applying anywhere I don’t see how Cornell or NYU are remotely possible. If NYU what major ? No way Stern.

1 Like

My sister goes there – sorry for the confusion!

3 Likes

I graduated early to participate in the Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange program, which is a year long scholarship to study/intern abroad. I have heard this is well-looked upon by colleges, and I will be taking an extra year of classes in Germany, so I do not think this would have a detrimental effect on my chances.

7 Likes

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

His sibling attends SMU.

4 Likes

I think fit would be my strength if I end up applying ED to the hotel school – hospitality has been all I have known for 5 years working at the restaurant, and another 2 major ECs are related to it. Politics and hospitality are both really important to me, so it’s my mistake if I came across as trying to game the system – that is not my intention.

3 Likes

Still need transparency from you. Why hotel ? Are you just chasing a name ?

What do you want to study ?

The two areas I want to major in are pretty unreconcilable, but I am really interested in both hospitality and politics. I think my extracurriculars are evident of this, including the restaurant management work, the catering business, and the restaurant supply business on the hospitality side of things, and all my political ECs on the flip-side. From the outside I completely see how it seems like i’m just chasing prestige, but hospitality is a huge part of my life (its hard to commit 5 years of your life to a field if you weren’t interested in it) and if I make it into the right program, its a field I’d like to continue in.

2 Likes

Sorry, my mixup. I’ll edit my post.

I will reiterate that if anyone has a good chance, it’s you. It goes without saying that Cornell is a tough admit for pretty much everybody. But don’t be put off by some posters’ pessimism.

8 Likes