Is HL math and Sci necessary for college major in comp Sci, Sci, or math field?

<p>Trying to choose a balanced program that won't be overwhelming. I think my S15 would prefer HL music, history and math or science but not both of the latter. Does it matter for competitive admissions?</p>

<p>Most schools don’t admit by major and so your classes in IB should not matter. For a CS major, science would not matter.</p>

<p>The top schools only give credit for HL classes.</p>

<p>It probably won’t matter too much, but it’s important to note that the gap between SL and HL math is usually pretty significant.</p>

<p>But it seems like students usually express interest in particular fields of study so their transcripts need to reflect high school work that make that plausible, right? For instance, my D13 wrote essays about her interest in environmental studies and referred to her esystems course and experience in environmental activism</p>

<p>If he wants to say CS as the major, he needs to aim for HL math. Science is only a word in computer science and nothing one does in sciences in high school relates to it.</p>

<p>HL Math also works for engineering. If he can take Calculus BC AP exam it is lot simpler since that is the highest AP available.</p>

<p>He will only have IB, no APs at his school and no way of taking AP exams so he’ll have to choose carefully. He’s already taken 7 APs at his previous school but the only math and science ones are stats and APES. I’m trying to decide whether he should challenge himself with HLs in math and Sci or go for HLs in his strongest areas and aim for a high predicted score. I just don’t know if he will be taken as seriously by admissions without HL math and/or science.</p>