Is it a good idea to choose a college because of a major that others don't have?

<p>I want to become a vet eventually but i wold love to study more about animals.</p>

<p>i applied to Davis for animal sciences and Santa Barbara for Zoology.</p>

<p>i got rejected by Davis but i got into SB.</p>

<p>If i go to SB, i want to double major in Zoology and Marine Biology.</p>

<p>Irvine and San Diego do not offer any animal biology related majors, but i don’t know if they offer classes on them or anything.</p>

<p>so… right now i’m planning to go to SB, but should i pick it over other schools just because it has the majors i want to study?</p>

<p>you can probably get the basic background you need for vet school at any of these colleges
that said, possibly UCSD would be a more rigorous program?
have you researched prerequisites for vet school? I read somewhere that it is even harder to get in to than medical school because there are fewer vet schools
so maybe you can get better grades at Santa Barbara to help you get in to vet school?</p>

<p>but really you should find out what you need for vet school and focus on that</p>

<p>we looked at a similar issue for my d as she got into Cal and SB, but likes marine bio---not so much of that at Cal and lots at SB, but she is woried SB will not be rigorous enough</p>

<p>Take it from me, vet school is much harder to get in than med school...you'll need at least an average 3.5 gpa, lots of experience, etc. Why did you get rejected from davis??? (just curious) Davis has CA's vet school, so getting rejected from there undergrad doesn't bode well for ever going to vet school there, unless you get your grades up in college.</p>

<p>You can take the prereqs for vet school (chem, bio stuff) anwhere, just like premed people do, so its up to you where to go. That being said, if you have an animal related major, you'll be able to take more classes that will eventually help you in vet school, or give you a career you enjoy if you change your mind/can't get into vet school. Marine bio and zoology would be a pretty awesome double major.</p>

<p>Im a senior animal science/zoology major just starting the whole vet school application process...no one appreciates just how much work it is, because theres so few of us compared to premeds</p>

<p>i don't know why i got rejected from davis, but taht's just how the die was cast. i had a 3.6 GPA, 1980 SAT, 680, 670 SATII.</p>

<p>"so... right now i'm planning to go to SB, but should i pick it over other schools just because it has the majors i want to study?"</p>

<p>Probably not a great idea unless you have your mind set. Most people change their majors several times in college. So, unless you are certain that you want to study zoology/animal studies, you should look into other schools as well as other interests you have.</p>