Is regent's really a "full" scholarship?

<p>how much do you exactly get for receiving regent’s? i know some people with regent’s and they only got like $7000 a year, which isn’t close to the cost per year. but how come some people on this site say that they’re getting a “full” ride with regents? or do they just mean the price of the student fees, not room/board and personal expenses?</p>

<p>As I understand it, Regents give you an honorarium amount, say $7000. If you have no financial need, then that is all you get, but if you do have additional need, then the rest of your costs will be supplemented with grants and additional aid. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!</p>

<p>The amount varies campus to campus.</p>

<p>At Berkeley, for example, the honorary award (to Regents Scholars with no "need") is $1,000 per year. For Regents Scholars with need, it is increased to meet the amount of their UCB-determined need. UC</a> Berkeley Financial Aid Office: Undergraduates » Types of Aid » Scholarships » Regents' and Chancellor's Scholarship</p>

<p>At Davis it is a merit award, and the amount last year was $7,500 per year. If the student had need above that amount, a stipend is added up to the amount of UCD-determined need UC</a> Davis : Regents Scholarship</p>

<p>As you can see, it would be best to go to the website of each campus that you applied to and research how they handle the Regents. Entering "UC Regents Scholarship Davis" , for example, should yield the results you need.</p>

<p>Regents is never a "full" scholarship if it is strictly base on "merit" only. If you have no financial need you will only receive the minimum amount that the particular UC (each is different) is going to offer.</p>

<p>So if UCSB costs about $26,000 a year, and my EFC is about 15,000 then the rest of the money will be paid by the school? (I got a Regents at UCSB which covers $6,000 a year and other gift aid).</p>

<p>IF UCSB meets your full need, with a
cost of attendance of $26,000
minus a Regents of $6,000
minus your EFC of $15,000 (Paid by student and/or student's family)</p>

<p>Remaining need: $5,000</p>

<p>You would probably be offered a combination of federally-subsidized loans and federal work/study to cover the $5,000.</p>

<p>In that scenario, your EFC of $15,000 would not be reduced.</p>

<p>The letter says, "If you are applying for financial aid, your full financial need, based on our standard CA resident budget, will be covered with a combination of your Regents award and other gift aid (grants and scholarships) for all four years... You will only be responsible for covering the federally required parent and student contribution portions of your financial aid."</p>

<p>It seems like it's saying that I only have to pay the $15,000 and everything else is completely free. So the remaining need of $5,000 that you mentioned would be covered by free money, not loans, unless I'm misunderstanding the letter.</p>

<p>No, you are reading it right! You did not mention the in your earlier post that you had been informed by letter that you would get no loans or work/study. Yes, if they have assured you it will all be grant aid, you would likey get the $6,000 scholarship, a $5,000 university grant, and then pay the $15,000. Congratulations on the Regents!</p>

<p>Yay! Thank you!</p>

<p>Most UC's policy, as I understand, is to reward Regent scholars with scholarships and grants which they do not have to pay back up to their financial need. Of course, if you have no financial need you will get their minimum amount which can be as small as $500 or $1000 per year.</p>