Is there any reason to avoid early Feb.?

<p>DD wants to take another look at Alabama and wants to be able to sit in on a class and meet with an adviser. She’s already done the tour, but I think just some time on the ground will give her a chance to see if she can picture herself there. We were thinking the very beginning of Feb. would be good because it is immediately after midterms and pressure will be off for the most part. I have gathered there will be some kind of band activities on the weekend, but she would probably be visiting on Thursday and Friday. Does anybody know if this would be a good time to go? We should start making arrangements.</p>

<p>I think beginning of Feb is fine. :slight_smile: I don’t know about band stuff. Are you talking about honor band weekends and such? </p>

<p>What kind of classes does she want to “sit in” ? honors classes? classes within her major? (remind me what her major is)</p>

<p>I think a biology class would be perfect, but I’m sure she will appreciate whatever her rep arranges. Right now bio is what interests her, and she is thinking about pre med. I just want to make sure we don’t plan something for a week when nobody in their right mind would want to be in town! Or when everyone is away, either.</p>

<p>Juniebug, UA’s Honor Band takes place Thursday, February 3, through Sunday, February 6. High school students from Alabama and surrounding states will be attending. It’s pretty popular since the student can knock out auditions for the music school (majors and minors), Million Dollar Marching Band, and wind ensembles all at one time.</p>

<p>The next weekend, Thursday through Sunday, is the All-State Orchestra.</p>

<p>My D and I will be on campus for both of those events. We have to stay off-campus though, since all the dorms are in use! :)</p>

<p>As long as she doesn’t need to meet with anybody in the music departments, I don’t see there would be a problem with visiting either of those weekends. It might not be the best time to meet with music department staff since they’re likely to be involved with master classes for these events and holding auditions and stuff.</p>

<p>Okay, thanks! I figured there is always something going on. That’s a good thing. But I don’t think we will have any dealings in the music dept., lol. DD plays in the hs orchestra, but I’m afraid her music career is winding down!</p>

<p>Since her interest is in Biology, then she really should sit in one of Dr. Guy Caldwell’s or Dr. Kim Caldwell’s bio classes…and ask to visit their lab…The Caldwell Lab.</p>

<p>The one reason I can think of that could derail your trip, Juniebug, is weather. If you are flying down from PA, I would worry that you could have snow/ice that could delay or cancel your fight. That happened to me a year ago. I had been scheduled to fly from DC to BHM so I could visit my son, and we got a huge snowstorm that closed our airports. I had to rearrange my plans for the following weekend … and hope that it would not snow again.</p>

<p>Good point, momreads. I guess we’re going to have to be flexible. DD needs to make her choice by March because she’s going to be away most of April and early May. </p>

<p>Thanks for the info, M2ck. I’ll pass that on so she can make a request.</p>

<p>By the way, DD has 6 acceptances and Alabama is the only one she’s asked to re-visit!</p>

<p>everyone said that campus tours are much better then university days, but i went to both in one weekend and the tour was honestly not that good. it took place on a bus and i didnt get a real feel of campus. At the university day in november i got to see all the dorms, classes ill be studying in… basically everything. i really fell in love with the campus. you should go to the feb university day so she can get the same experience as me. i also got my foot in the door and made some friends!</p>

<p>I wouldn’t necessarily say that a Campus Tour is better than UDay or CSDay. It’s just that UDay and CSDay haven’t included a full tour in the past.</p>

<p>The info presented at UDay and CSDay is very valuable. I just didn’t like that when OOS students came, they didn’t get a good view of the entire school’s facilities. </p>

<p>If your tour was only riding in the bus, then you must have gone when it was pouring rain or something, because half of the tour is walking. </p>

<p>Also, of course, which student gives your tour can also affect the quality of the tour. I’ve been on 4 or 5 campus tours…with my kids, with other people’s kids, etc…and although each tour guide gave a different spiel and some showed more things than others, I would still think that it is important to go on a tour just to get a feel for where things are and what the school has. </p>

<p>I do wish that the school offered a general tour PLUS a more customized tour that followed.</p>

<p>1) tours that are more for engineering/hard sciences majors - this could include a tour of Shelby and SEC</p>

<p>2) tours that are more for b-school and similar - tour of the B-school library and facilities</p>

<p>3) tours that are more for liberal arts majors - tour of Blount and other facilities</p>

<p>and, somehow offer something for those who are interested in learning more about honors.</p>