University Day or private tour?

<p>So I’ve scheduled a tour on Feb 23rd, but just saw that Alabama has a University Day scheduled for Monday, Feb. 20th. </p>

<p>My D has a 30 composite on ACT and is taking it again in Feb to try to get a 32. I’ve already emailed Allison in the Honors program to schedule a tour of Honors and to set up a meeting with someone in musical theatre.</p>

<p>Is it better to have a smaller tour on a non-University Day??? Would we see anything on University Day that we wouldn’t on another day???</p>

<p>Thanks for any tips…</p>

<p>Definitely go for the private tour. You will get a tailored-to-you experience. </p>

<p>Are you also asking if you should include the the University Days experience? It isn’t necessary.</p>

<p>UDays isn’t necessary…too many kids, not individual attention. The honors tour is much better. </p>

<p>Also have your D take the SAT. It’s often easier to get the 1400 M+CR on the SAT, especially if the Science score is dragging down the composite on the ACT. Either way, take BOTH!</p>

<p>I was thinking smaller tour would be better. Thanks!</p>

<p>Mom2K: She did take SAT twice and got a 1370 and 1350 on CR & M!!! Last time she took ACT as a freshmen her science score was much higher and she felt ACT was easier, except for science. She didn’t prep at all for ACT. So she’ll practice more to get score to 32!</p>

<p>I’m going to buck the trend here and say go on as many tours as your time allows. We found both our privately arranged tour and the short bus tour of campus, interesting, valuable, and worthwhile.<br>
Also, the University Days event has (or had on the day we were there) a ton of groups w/ tables set up in the Ferg Center, and you could go around and get individual info and lots of little stuff (keychains, pencils, etc.). I do not know if this happens every Uni Day, but it was the time we were there in November. We did not sign up for the Uni Day tour, but happened to be there when one was going on…and our ambassador for the day (part of the private tour) mentioned it, so we went for an hour and got great info at the booths/tables there, and managed to talk with several students. The students my S talked with really helped convince him that UA was where he needed to be. In fact, I can say that if we had not stopped at the engineering table, my S would not have made the decision to go to UA!<br>
So that is why it is important to get different perspectives from many different people.</p>

<p>*We found both our privately arranged tour and the short bus tour of campus, interesting, valuable, and worthwhile.
*</p>

<p>I completely agree that you should first book the campus (bus/walking) tour online (try for the early morning one)…then tell Allison what time that tour is, so that she can arrange the private tour around that. the honors tour doesn’t include a campus tour, so you need to schedule that first, and let Allison know.</p>

<p>The Feb UDay is fine for a soph or junior to attend, but not really for a current senior (I know that this student is a junior, I’m just stating this for any current senior who might be reading). It will deal with next fall’s app process and scholarships, so any current senior would be beyond that process.</p>