Is UM "fratty"?

<p>In the sense of southern schools?</p>

<p>I'm asking if kids here are wearing Vineyard Vines and Polo, or is it mainly more like Ed Hardy/SoCal style?</p>

<p>It doesn't really matter, I've always been curious because I always thought this style (my sister went to SMU) seemed very fun..</p>

<p>Like do pledges wear ties to football games or is it alot more casual?</p>

<p>Thanks Alot</p>

<p>You wear whatever you want. No dress code!! T-shirts for most, Polo, Lacoste, Abercrombie… and whatever brand polo/dress shirt shirt you prefer.
Main must have item is some sort of flip flops for every day wear.
Pledge attire- while in the “pledge” stage- shirt and ties are worn (with shorts of course!!)</p>

<p>UM is not very fratty, IMO, at least compared to other Southern schools. </p>

<p>Aren’t there only like 7 frats?</p>

<p>UM is not what anyone would consider a “fratty” school. My S’s fraternity did not do the shirt/tie thing.</p>

<p>My son’s frat did do the shirt and tie thing. He had to wear one every Monday all day and to class and to certain meetings and events. He hated it. Lots of girls and guys join frats/sororities at UM. He ended up dropping out of his frat and transferring as well, it just wasn’t his thing.</p>

<p>well I want the whole shirt tie experience, so that’s a good thing for me :)</p>

<p>which frats are the most southern/fratty in this sense?</p>

<p>Here is a link to the UM Greek Life booklet. Less than 15% of the students at UM go Greek so Greek life at UM does not have the same feel and presence as at some of the southern schools like Vandy and Wake where 40%+ are Greek. <a href=“https://www6.miami.edu/greeklife/pdf/fraternityAndSororityLifeBooklet.pdf[/url]”>https://www6.miami.edu/greeklife/pdf/fraternityAndSororityLifeBooklet.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Since recruitment for freshmen does not take place until Spring semester, you’ll have plenty of time to learn about the different fraternities/chapters and find one where you feel you comfortable. Take note, only 6 of the fraternities have houses if that’s something that’s important to you. Greek life can be wonderful if you find a great fit.</p>

<p>DPC-
You visit different frats during rush and find the one that fits you.
No one can tell you where to belong.</p>