Johnson Scholarship -- Class of 2022

@HappySquirrel and @anonymous1418 Not sure how far away you are, but I wonder if they are starting with those who have to fly. Son received an email about a tentative travel itinerary.

@gclsports I definitely have to fly, but I also just registered yesterday. They might be going in order of registration.

I live in Iowa and I indicated that I want to fly.

Travel agent emailed my D on Friday with a proposed flight schedule and asked if it worked, which it did. My D sent the relevant personal info and the agent is making the reservations and will send the final itinerary.

Any advice about the Johnson experience from someone who has been through it?

@katespeare search this forum for Johnson competition posts. Main tips (D was a Johnson scholar): be collaborative in the group exercises rather than showboating, show genuine interest in what the current Johnsons and faculty are doing (you won’t know ahead of time which faculty you’ll meet, but familiarize yourself with the current Johnson profiles on the website - current Johnsons are involved in the group interviews), act as if everything you do may get back to the decision makers (going to a frat party is fine, getting drunk or hooking up is not, which seems obvious but D was appalled to see some applicants’ behavior), be considerate of your student host, prepare questions that aren’t easily answered on the website that show you are thoughtful about how you would be involved in and contribute to W&L, smile & be friendly. Make a note of the names of your interviewers, admissions rep, etc. and email them a short thank you referencing something you discussed.

Has anyone not received an email about travel?

@yauponredux Thank you for your tips! Could you give me a little idea what questions might be asked at the interviews(other than expected questions like “Why W&L”)? I looked at threads from previous years and it seems like there are a lot of uncommon/weird questions.

@Anonymous1418 I haven’t received any emails yet. I submitted my online registration form pretty early though.

@HappySquirrel That makes me feel better because I haven’t gotten anything either.

@Anonymous1418 I just got emails from the travel agency regarding flights.

@HappySquirrel I got one yesterday as well

Are they going to arrange shuttles to pick us up at the airport?

@HappySquirrel There is an FAQ on the website (found it by googling Washington and Lee Johnson Scholarship weekend, can’t seem to link here) that says they will have shuttles, but haven’t heard anything directly from the school or travel agent about that.

To tag onto @yauponredux, commit this to memory - the entire time you’re there you’re being evaluated. The year my D attended, someone was sent home for misbehaving. There is plenty of time to party once you are a student. Spend time getting to know you fellow attendees, if you go to W&L they will be a good starter friend group.

With regards to questions, it’s been a while, but when D went there were individual interviews and group interviews, so you will have to show you can work well with others. Her group was asked to create something together - a class maybe?

@HappySquirrel

"I am flying into Roanoke. How will I get to campus?

An admissions representative will be at the airport to greet all flights and to put finalists onto shuttles to bring them to campus. Washington and Lee will also provide transportation back to the airport for your return flight."

From https://www.wlu.edu/johnson-program/faqs#ROA

Have you guys got emails about an open house for the department of interest? I am going to the Chemistry and Biochemistry one, super excited!

D18 got an email from the English department.

@HappySquirrel When did you get that email?

@Anonymous1418 Last Friday

@yauponredux @scmom12 Do you have any advice on what to pack and wear for girls? The website says to pack “Casual attire - this is what you will wear during most of your time on campus. Bring comfortable shoes because our campus is hilly and you will likely be walking quite a bit.” With the class visits, department open houses, and interviews, I’m having trouble imagining when I would dress casually.

Thank you!