Journalism at Mizzou?

<p>All throughout high school, I have been involved in journalism. Freshman year, I was the head photographer and assistant editor for the yearbook. Junior year, I was on the newspaper staff and journalism team. Next year, my senior year, I will be the editor of the newspaper, section editor for the yearbook, and captain of the journalism team. </p>

<p>I've also won various awards at the state, regional, district, and local levels for journalism. I was also nominated for a few summer journalism programs by my adviser.</p>

<p>I love journalism, I really do. However, getting a job in the industry is extremely difficult. So, I've pretty much decided to major in marketing. </p>

<p>However, I'm thinking about applying to the journalism program at Mizzou. If I could get in, would my chances of finding a job after graduation be higher than if I majored in marketing elsewhere?</p>

<p>From my knowledge… and honestly, that’s not too much (let’s just say I’m not an expert in this field), I know that usually, if you want to go into journalism, you start out at the very bottom and make your way up. And you don’t need to have a journalism degree to go into the journalism field. If you look at the great journalists of today, most of them have little to no prior formal training in journalism. Some graduated with degrees in physics, some with international relations, some with English, some with engineering.</p>

<p>If you really like journalism though, go for it, do what makes you happy. If you’re solely concerned with job prospects, journalism may not be the right choice. Now, I’m not saying all journalism majors start out at the very bottom, of course not! That’s absurd! But that’s how it usually is. Actually… that’s how it is for most careers and for most college grads.</p>

<p>Mizzou has a world renowned journalism program, so you shouldn’t have any trouble getting a job, but pay-wise… well… that might be a different story.</p>

<p>If I were you, I’d do what I like and judging from your post, you’re a talented journalist. So, why not? Go for it!</p>

<p>You can always end up double majoring or minoring in marketing or a related field if you’re that concerned.</p>