Junior with low GPA 3.1 from competitive high school, with new SAT score 1400, Worth trying UC?

Junior with GPA 3.1, new SAT 1400. UCM might not work for me, but what is my chance to UCR, UCSC?

Medical reason and hospitalization contributed to the low grade. But my grade is getting better in Junior year. Not much EC at all, other than my intensive travel experience in US and Internationally.

Any feedback will be appreciated!!!

Writing about your medical issue and hospitalization will help your chances at UCR and UCSC but the essays are subjective so difficult to determine how much. If you can get your GPA up to a 3.4, you would have a much better chance but you have a compelling reason for your GPA. Your SAT scores show that are a capable individual so apply to all and see what happens. Always have 1-2 safety schools on your list and best of luck.

Freshman admit rates based on 2016 UC GPA data:

Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.00-3.39

UCB/UCLA/UCSD: 1%
UCI/UCSB: 2%
UCD: 4%
UCSC: 18%
UCR: 38%
UCM: 67%

Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.40-3.79:

UCB: 2%
UCLA: 3%
UCSD: 6%
UCD: 15%
UCSB: 14%
UCI: 13%
UCSC: 59%
UCR: 78%
UCM: 92%

Why just UCs?

Definitely choose a non-impacted major. Apply widely, include CSUs and consider OOS via WUE.

Agree, GPA seems to matter much more than test scores. CCC was made for students in your situation. If you are totally committed to UC, think about a transfer path. Good luck!