Just a sampling of what's going on

<p>For prospective students and parents…</p>

<p>This week’s Honor’s College Newsletter (I hope this works :slight_smile: )
There is so much going on it is crazy…I want to go back to college…
<a href=“http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=ae726288e167e2ae85143fc37&id=3d84b0adb6[/url]”>Honors Newsletter | 10.14.13</a></p>

<p>Doing good. Talking Tide. Drinking Coffee. Tailgating.
It’s Week 9 in Honors</p>

<p>THIS WEEK
IN THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA HONORS COLLEGE</p>

<p>Tues., Oct 15, 7:00 p.m. | Coffee Hour | RCS Lobby
Wed., Oct 16, 11:00 a.m. | Culverhouse Scheduling Session | Nott 176
Wed., Oct 16, 6:30 p.m. | Schools of Health Recruiting Session | Farrah 120
Thurs., Oct 17, 1:15 | Resume Review | HCA Office
Sat., Oct 19, 3:00 | Honors Tailgate | Nott Hall
Sun., Oct 20, 3:00 p.m. | Running Club | Lower Rec Parking Lot
Sun., Oct 20, 6:00 p.m. | Yoga | RCS, 2nd floor atrium
Mon., Oct 21, 6:30 p.m. | Town Hall | Ferg Forum</p>

<p>DEADLINES
Nicaraguan Clinical Experience | Due October 18, noon</p>

<p>UA in Oxford: Plan now for Summer II
Is it ever too early to think about Summer in Oxford? We don’t think so! Especially with spring registration right around the corner. Many of the classes available this summer in the UA in Oxford program satisfy the University’s core requirements—in a setting students describe as absolutely magical. Outstanding instruction and unforgettable experiences make UA in Oxford a hallmark experience within Honors Abroad.</p>

<p>Find out more online or email former Honors College Dean and UA in Oxford faculty member Bob Halli for more information regarding the program.</p>

<p>Nicaragua: Deadline this Friday!
Experience, class credit, and adventure all in one? Please and thank you. Apps for the Nicaraguan Clinical Experience are here for all of you passionate health-care studiers who know intermediate Spanish. There will be two 2-week trips this summer: May 4–May 17 and May 18–May 31. Cost is about $1270 plus airfare. Find out more and apply. Have any questions? Just email student organizer Scott Leary. </p>

<p>Honors Scheduling
Wednesday | 11am-2pm | 176 Nott<br>
Spring registration just keeps getting closer and we just keep guzzling the pumpkin flavored goodies. Embrace what should be fall weather while you can before the mass-hysteria of spring registration begins. #ahhh Sophomore and Junior Business majors come be advised this Wednesday in 176 Nott Hall from 11am-2pm. Find more info here. </p>

<p>Coffee. Coffee. Coffee.
Tuesday, 7-8 p.m. | RCS Lobby
It’s coffee hour. Like we have every Tuesday. And it’s about time you stopped by. Seriously, we’ll be waiting. </p>

<p>IBM.
Career Exploration…
Make a Difference, a virtual event experience, which will be held on Tuesday, October 22, 2013, between 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. central. Unleash your potential. Build your career. You’ll have the opportunity to join a tablet-friendly, online platform and connect with current IBMers (executives, experts, recruiters) and explore Information Booths, Careers Fairs and network with other students. Check it out here. </p>

<p>Premier Awards.
Due Nov. 22nd
Premier Awards Applications are now available! What is a Premier Award, you ask? Only the highest honors given by the University of Alabama. That’s all. For more info click here.The deadline for applications is Friday, November 22, 2013, by 5:00 p.m.
Don’t think they’re giving out the golden statues this year, but check with them… </p>

<p>Volunteerin’. Errday.
(Well, technically, last Saturday)
Twenty-three of your fellow trailblazing Honors students worked last Saturday with WAMBA team leaders to re-route part of the Tashka Trail at Lake Lurleen State Park. Props, y’all! </p>

<p>Tailgate with us!
Saturday, 3:00 p.m. | Nott Hall
The road to 16 is fueled by carbs and protein. “R-O-L-L-T-I-D-E” does not spell itself. #areweright? Join your friends. Grab a burger. Make impressive swirls with condiments. </p>

<p>Public Health, Anyone?
Oct. 16, 6:30 p.m. | Farrah 120
Brace yourself. Join HCA in welcoming Columbia, Harvard, Johns Hopkins and Yale this Wednesday at 6:30 in 120 Farrah Hall for a recruitment visit. Learn all about their schools of public health and find out how you can gain the competitive edge in applications, or maybe even intern there this summer. </p>

<p>Listen to the Tide Talk
Oct. 15, 7:30 p.m. | Ferg Theater
Come witness the start of something great this Tuesday at 7:30 in the Ferg Theater with Tide Talks IV. The best and brightest on campus will speak about their revolutionary ideas and trust us when we say you’ll want to be there. Join the revolution and discover more here and here.</p>

<p>Taste of Germany.
Oct. 16, 6-8 p.m. | Parham Hall
Getcha delicious authentic Bratwurst and Pretzel Rolls heeah! Come to Taste of Germany this Tuesday (tomorrow) Oct.16 at 6pm in the community room in Parham Hall. Get the low down on some German culture (it is Oktober, right?!) and get some free munchin’ goodness. </p>

<p>Alta Gracia.
Tues, 1:30 p.m. | Lloyd 216
Workers from Alta Gracia, a factory located in the Dominican Republic and the only brand on the college market to pay its workers a living wage, will be coming to speak about their experience working for this factory that is changing the face of the garment industry. Hear their stories. </p>

<p>Festival-ties
Join University Programs for Kentuck Festival of the Arts on Sunday, October 20. The Festival is located in the historical downtown Northport and shuttles will pick up and drop off at the Ferg Plaza from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sign up for free and reserve your spot here!</p>

<p>Great!</p>

<p>My son did the Nicaragua trip and loved it. </p>

<p>If you can, take the Medical Spanish class first.</p>

<p>Mom2ck-- now I can relax. DD has applied and I was really concerned about the thought of Nicaragua. It is a perfect trip for her – exercise science and Spanish double major with plans for PT school. I just wondered about safety issues. Now to help her understand she can’t go on training runs by herself when she’s there.</p>

<p>^I went to Nicaragua once. </p>

<p>Was robbed by men with machetes. </p>

<p>But lovely trip, overall.</p>

<p>In all seriousness, so long as you avoid the more rural backroads and travel in groups, it’s totally safe. We just made some silly decisions.</p>

<p>D goes to Nicaragua at Christmas with Alabama Greek Missions and they have been doing this trip for years. Never has anyone in the group felt unsafe or threatened. Nicaragua is actually considered a very safe country, especially outside the urban areas.</p>

<p>I am the Director of Travel for a college and I have more concern sending students to some areas of Belize than Nicaragua. Like any destination you travel to, be aware, stay with others, don’t flash your iPhone, etc and you will be fine. Leave your valuable’s at home. D left all of her clothes AND her tennis shoes. Came back with the clothes on her back and a pair of flip flops. The people there are so grateful and so very kind. It will change the way your kids look at the world. I know it did mine.</p>

<p>D was more tramatized by the spider nest they hit when digging the foundation of the house they were building. Guess they bubbled up from the ground and were poisonous. Before the guide could say “stay away” in Spanish…D was about a block away. lol She hates spiders!</p>

<p>BuzyMom – thanks so much for that great information. It has both my husband and me feeling much more comfortable. I will pass all of this along to her, especially the poisonous spider issue!</p>