Just Back from May 2014 NSC - TIPS!

<p>Have any students registered into ‘honors’ engineering? I am hearing a buzz…that there will be no 200 classes only 500?</p>

<p>My son was able to register for Honors Engineering 111. He is quite excited. I’m sure more classes will open with each NSC.</p>

<p>Only three of the honors engineering sections opened up at the first NSC. My S got into one of them. The others were reserved for future NSC sessions.</p>

<p>TiberiusShift, I think you’re asking if 200 level honors courses ( traditionally sophomore level) will be open. Chances are very few if any will be open-since the sophomore honors students have already signed up. There are not enough slots in all honors courses for all who are eligible to take them. Some of the higher level courses have prerequisites so they may currently be open but as grades are verified, those students will be poised to get those courses as soon as they open. If you are trying to advance to sophomore status, chances are slim that you’ll find those courses still open in the honors sections. You might have to take what you can and then try during add/drop week to find an open honors slot.</p>

<p>I’m not certain, but I think @TiberiusShift may be talking about the 200 “section” number for Honors Engr 111. I think Honors 111 classes have section numbers in the 200s, while regular Engr 111 classes are numbered in the 500s maybe? Right now, the Howdy portal is showing about 49 seats left in the Honors 111 sections, with three additional sections showing zero seats. But, those latter three sections have not yet been provisioned with any seats at all. So, fingers crossed that are holding them in reserve and will provision seats for them in the later NSCs. ?? --just a wishful/hopeful thought.</p>

<p>A friend is at the current NSC and saw an advisor who said that they were not allowing Fall freshmen register in engineering honors----but others have already registered as noted up^^. I wondered if they mis-heard and they were talking about the aerospace engr 101 honors, as they were talking with an AE advisor. I’m going to email…</p>

<p>There is a difference between Engineering Honors (the group) and the class Engineering 111 - Honors class section. If you are in University Honors then you can register for ENGR 111 - Honors.</p>

<p>BUT you cannot apply for the Engineering Honors group until you are a sophmore.</p>

<p>You need to be in an honors program to register for any honors courses at NSC. You can still take honors courses if you meet the academic limits, but have to wait to register just before school starts. Here’s the link about being 'honors eligible"<a href=“http://hur.tamu.edu/Honors/About-the-University-Honors-Program”>http://hur.tamu.edu/Honors/About-the-University-Honors-Program&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>My son is in the University Honors program and was able to register for Honors Engineering 111 at the NSC. Apparently, your account is flagged in a way that allows you to register for honors courses.</p>

<p>I’ve found that to be the case, too, @whciv01. Son is in University Honors and, separately applied for Engineering Honors. When admitted to EH, he received an email specifically stating they would do whatever they needed to do to make honors courses available to him on the class schedules. The honors courses now appear when he logs into the class schedules on the Howdy portal. </p>

<p>@TiberiusShift, if your student is in one or more of the honors programs and you don’t see honors courses available on the class schedules in the Howdy portal, you may want to call or email the UH or EH folks.</p>

<p>I think the problem was with Aerospace Engr honors—and since students are not able to ‘claim’ those specific majors yet—they did not know what to do—but it’s all okay now…if there are any AE students out there —talk to AE advisor </p>

<p>We just got back from our NSC 3 days ago. My son will be an engineering student. </p>

<p>Lots of good ideas here. To echo some of those and give a few of my own:</p>

<p>—Yes, go to the PRECONFERENCE DAY if you can at all! You can get your ID, Sportspass, and Computer registration at the SCC that afternoon after the NSC ahead of you and before the madness of yours the next morning. That makes the Day 1 morning SO much easier.</p>

<p>—Dress for heat, and everything is informal. We brought khakis and nice shirts for the social–not necessary. Never wore anything but shorts.</p>

<p>—Stay in the dorm, parents! For $25 it’s hard to beat. Just realize there’s no TV…:wink: We stayed in Rudder Hall and parked in the South Garage immediately next door.</p>

<p>–Use those postcards from College Depot and AggieLand and go get your free Tshirt and String Bag! </p>

<p>–No, you can’t go with your child to registration–parents are purposely kept out of the registration area, at least early on. This is by design, and by GOOD design, IMHO. Not to offend anyone, but the amount of absolutely psycho moms and dads we saw asking every conceivable question about scheduling, AP Credits, and every tiny worry imaginable was hard to take. I felt for the kids whose parents were questioning the students/faculty at the various panel discussions about the THREE HOURS they spent with their student late the night before researching classes and coming up with every possible iteration of a schedule. A little preparation is OK (that’s all we did–formulate a basic plan of what courses he wanted), but don’t drive your kid batsh*^ crazy! Trust your child and their advisor.</p>

<p>–Many kids AP credits are not accounted for at registration. If something comes in during the summer there are chances to change if you wish. </p>

<p>My only gripe? I didn’t realize TAMU is a Pepsi school–I usually drink Diet Coke! ;)</p>

<p>Those of you who have been to the NSC with your engineering student, did the engineering department go into detail about freshman year and requirements to get into your major, sophomore year? Is there a required minimum GPR to get into each major? If you placed out of University Core electives for freshman year, will they allow you freshman year to take other required courses like Communications, etc? </p>

<p>My son has just finished his first year of PETe and he was able to take Comm 205 spring sem.with permission from his advisor. He had to let them know ahead of time so they could hold a spot for him. As for getting into a particular engr. major, all students must have 1 science, 1 math, and 1 engineering class to apply. Per the PETe advisors, they anticipated a 3.5 as being competitive (this information was given to one of my sons friends at a NSC). They also may do
interviews. Since this is new, I’m sure it will evolve…</p>

<p>Thank you inspiration for the information. That’s good to know that your son was able to take Comm 205 freshman year. I suspect the whole process for getting into your particular engineering major will be changing with the changes this fall for the incoming freshman. When we were up at A&M last month, my son’s emphasis/future major did not know yet all the particulars and requirements for the fall. </p>

<p>It seems like the main reason for implementing these changes is due to so many kids changing their minds. They also talked about visiting with industry professionals during the year…</p>

<p>This is what we were told at the first NSC. As stated above the student must successfully complete a math, a science and an engineering class in order to apply for a major. The process will be competitive and take a holistic approach. The first semester GPA is one of the biggest factors. But since that is limited they will also look at your high school transcripts and ACT/SAT scores along with the math placement exam results. Interviews may be requested.</p>

<p>I think the dates for applying to a major are February 1- March 15 if I remember correctly. </p>

<p>It is a new process and will evolve and probably change some for next year. It could possibly change this year too by the time March rolls around. </p>

<p>Thank you for the explanation! Glad they will be using a holistic approach for admissions to the various engineering majors.</p>

<p>Just a thought, what happens to the students that don’t get into their engineering major? Are they forced out of engineering and told to pick another major? If so, this student might be picking just anything and end up taking classes they don’t want in a major they don’t want. So, the very thing A&M is trying to avoid by switching to this new system for engineering freshman for them to avoid being in the wrong discipline of engineering or choosing any major just to get into A&M since the engineering department was full, will end up happening during sophomore year for those students who could not get into their chosen major. I can foresee lots of tweaking. </p>

<p>I believe they have 4 semesters to apply. So, yes they would have to choose another major if they were not accepted. They key, I think, is to have a realistic idea about success. The longer they wait, and if their grades are not that great, the harder it will be to get into another major, especially business, for example. This is where good advising comes in! It seems most engineering schools follow this type of model.</p>