Last Part of my App: Nervous about declaring Majot

<p>So as of right now these are my choices</p>

<p>UC Berkeley- Integrative Biology
UCLA- 1st- MCDB 2nd- History
UCSD- 1st- Human Biology 2nd- Undeclared
UC Davis- 1st- Cell Biology 2nd- History
UC Irvine- 1st- Biology 2nd- History
UCSB- 1st- Biology 2nd- History</p>

<p>Now obviously the common theme with me is that i want to be a Biology major but since Biology majors are impacted im afraid that i would get rejected because I got a B and C+ in AP Chem. </p>

<p>So my question is since Biology is very impacted and at most campuses humanties isnt should I just declare 2 humanties majors for my 1st and 2nd choice? So that they will not know at all that I have a desire to be a biology major or am i fine declaring 1st biology and 2nd nonscience?</p>

<p>I am afraid that if they see one science and one non science they will think " he is not qualified enough to be a biology major and if we admit him as a nonscience he will just switch into a biology soon"</p>

<p>Note: I have straight A’s in History and I got a 4 on the AP Psych test so that is why I believe it might be better to declare a nonscience 1st choice or 1st and 2nd choice. </p>

<p>Please I need advice! Do I declare Biology and a nonscience or 2
nonsciences?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance</p>

<p>Well, you should apply to the majors that you’d actually be interested in studying. Transferring in to an impacted major is a difficult process (At least, it is at UCSD, according to some friends), so your second major should reflect something you’d like to study. That said, having a Science and a Nonscience major on your application is fine, so long as they are both things you’d like to study. You will not be docked points or thought less of. It just shows you have diverse interests, which is perfectly OK.</p>

<p>Major is NOT an admissions factor if you are applying to Letters & Science at Cal and UCLA, so it will not matter. (Adcoms know that most kids change their prospective major 2-3 times.) Intended major IS a factor if applying to spcialized programs such as Engineering, College of Chem (Cal), theater, dance, music, etc., (where an audition might be required).</p>

<p>^^^^^^^^^^^^^
But what about for schools who have Biology in the own unique school like UC Davis’s College of Biological Sciences and UC Irvine’s School of Biological Sciences’s? </p>

<p>I know UCB and UCLA dont admit by major because their biology majors are listed under letter and science which is where the bulk of the majors are.
It would seem to make sense that if a school has separated Biology majors from the bulk of its majors then they would have higher admission standards than the other majors. Like for example UC Davis and UC Irvine above.</p>

<p>Bluebayou answered your question in his reply, “Intended major IS a factor if applying to spcialized programs such as Engineering, College of Chem (Cal), theater, dance, music, etc., (where an audition might be required).” It CAN be an important factor, however, it is not one at UCI or UCD, where I believe general admissions decisions are made before major decisions.</p>