learning communities like the entrepreneurial one in seller, bradley, and chadbourne

<p>I am an incoming student and am interested in some of the learning communities at wisconsin. I was wondering if anyone had some experiences with any of the learning communities, specifically the entrepreneurial one in seller, bradley, and chadbourne, or know someone who's had experiences. </p>

<p>Anything like what they do throughout the year, how much of a commitment it is, if you're required to participate in everything, how helpful it is in elevating your first year experience, and common types of people found in them. </p>

<p>Thanks for any thoughts on this.</p>

<p>You are not required to participate in anything extra.</p>

<p>I highly recommend Chadbourne. But it could be too late - it is very popular and may be full. People say it is the nerdy/social/smart students.</p>

<p>Read more here:</p>

<p><a href=“https://www.housing.wisc.edu/crc”>https://www.housing.wisc.edu/crc&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“Global Café is Back for Spring – University Housing – UW–Madison”>https://www.housing.wisc.edu/crc/global&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Optional (free) activities vary from year to year and include bus trip to Marcus Point Cinemas on Madison’s far west side to see midnight new release movies, bus trip to American Player’s Theatre to see Shakespeare play, tickets to the Overture for Chinese Acrobats. There is also a Spring service learning course which includes a spring break trip to the Dominican Republic ($600 fee and competitive application process).</p>

<p>madison85, thanks for the advice.</p>

<p>for the entrepreneurial LC, how is that compared to the rest of sellery? is there a big difference in culture and is the erlc secluded or integrated into the rest of sellery from a social standpoint? </p>

<p>I just cannot imagine that there is a strong difference in culture between the floor that has a learning community and the rest of the dorm – there are 1000 kids in Sellery, 2 separate towers (A and B), 10 floors, and about 50 kids per floor. Too many people and too much going on to segregate in any particular way. My kid was on Sellery and, as a social person, felt it was a great introduction to the life of the university. Most of the people on his floor did everything together for the fall semester, and then started to go their separate ways during the spring a bit more. </p>

<p>I continually tout FIGs as a great way to ease into UW academics – my student says it was ideal way to adjust to large classes etc, having a group of 20 kids he had 3 classes with. Something to consider as well. </p>

<p>Too late to influence choices by now but- my opinions are different. Any dorm on campus is a great introduction to campus. I chose Lakeshore as a Chemistry major, my (after meeting them in classes) best college friends chose opposite dorms than I preferred. FIGs work for some, not all. Son’s Honors math, science and electives did not mesh with those. He had smaller classes because of his course choices. </p>

<p>No matter where you live you can eat at any dining facility anywhere on campus, for the same foods and costs. You are not limited to only your particular house for socializing, you can go to other floors/common areas as well. You are in charge of what you do, how much you use the facilities you pay the extra fee for.</p>

<p>There as many good possibilities as there are students. Enjoy the experience.</p>