Let's talk course loads

So I’m interested in both language and music, and when I’m able to drop gym in junior year, an elective slot will open up. I’ve narrowed my choices down to two classes: IB Music Theory I or Latin. I may be able to test up in Latin as I’m studying it individually, but I’ve heard Music Theory is a lot less work. Considering I’ll also be taking IB English I, HL Math II, IB French I, and HOA, is it worth it?

The other pro with music theory is that, since we offer TOK as a night class, people in music theory are automatically enrolled in it. Everyone else has to be raffled in. However, I think I’d be able to pull enough strings with my band teacher to be able to take night TOK either way.

Since TOK is a course you need to win a raffle to get into, does that mean that the opportunity to obtain the IB Diploma is entirely based on luck?

Don’t bother doing TOK if you’re not doing the diploma (which also involves taking a science), and as you’re doing what looks like two A languages (correct me if I’m wrong), you aren’t doing the diploma anyway so there’s no additional pro to doing music theory.

@crimes Basically, the random decision results come out and the guidance counselors get assaulted with class changes, so it’s really just an inconvenience having to change your classes to make room for TOK if you don’t get in.

I am going for the diploma, so I’ll have IB Physics on top of that. I’m set for the diploma, it’s just a question of that extra elective. I also have the potential to test up in Latin as well, so IB Latin SL is entirely a possibility as far as that route.

do latin unless you want to study music in college, i think