Letters and Care Packages to an Incoming Freshman

<p>With the renovation of post office boxes at the Ferg, are there any options around downtown tuscaloosa to get a post office box? Any ideas how to get mail to an incoming freshman?</p>

<p>Hmmm…I know that the Ferg is going to be remodeled, but I rented a PO box for my son last week when we were there for Bama Bound and the PO worker didn’t say anything about service being interrupted. So I assume the PO box can still be used… Hmmm…</p>

<p>Miss Peggy, at the Post Office, definitely did not encourage getting a PO Box anywhere else. I assume she would have said something if the Ferg boxes were going to be compromised during reno. We also registered a PO Box at the Ferg during BB. No mention about anything being disrupted.</p>

<p>We were only able to rent D’s box through November when we were there for Bama Bound in late May. They wouldn’t do it beyond that because the USPS didn’t know if the University would be renewing its lease at the Ferg. Were those of you who’ve gotten a PO Box since then able to get it for a full year? If so, I assume that means UA renewed the lease and we’ll be able to extend.</p>

<p>They told us that it was good for 6months then renew.</p>

<p>^^^ Same here - Six month rental. :-)</p>

<p>I didn’t get a PO box for my S yet. I thought I read that they were getting rid of the post office there and integrating the mail system on campus. I might get him one when he moves in though if I don’t hear any more about it.</p>

<p>When I renewed my box in May, they were only doing 6 month renewals as well. I’ve heard a great many rumors about the extent of and timeline for Ferg renovation, but none of them are solid.</p>

<p>When on campus last week, I went in and renewed my box for 6 months. Peggy (one of the USPS employees) didn’t mention anything about the boxes being inaccessible during renovations and said that USPS will be moving some of the box numbers and the 35486 ZIP Code to another post office after USPS leaves in May. As USPS is still under contract with UA, I believe that 24/7/365 access to PO Boxes except in extenuating circumstances eg power outage or Tornado is a condition of the contract.</p>