LoJack for Laptops

<p>I honestly don’t believe my daughter will faithfully use a laptop cable lock if I buy one for her. Sigh…</p>

<p>Does anyone know if the SupeStore offers discounts on the LoJack for laptops subscription?</p>

<p>I don’t know if mine will either, but I bought one today. We’ll see.</p>

<p>When mentioned the thought of using a cable lock on D’s laptop I was met by a stern, no. :(</p>

<p>So, where can I get LoJack for her laptop? How much is it?</p>

<p>A very good alternative I have used with great success is:</p>

<p>[Prey</a> Anti Theft: Track & find stolen Phones, Tablets and Laptops](<a href=“http://preyproject.com/]Prey”>http://preyproject.com/)</p>

<p>I added laptops onto my homeowners’ for $10 a year(in case they are stolen)</p>

<p>Yes, the cable lock is only good if they use it!! Kids! :-)</p>

<p>Amazon.com has LoJack and I noticed on the bookstore site for another college that they offer a fantastic discount on the LoJack. Was hoping SupeStore did too, but they don’t list any software products or deals on their website. We will be there Friday and I will inquire when there, but was hoping somebody here knew something.</p>

<p>Well now, that Prey product is interesting! I will look into that further. Also, didn’t even think about the homeowners route! That’s a good idea as well.</p>

<p>We used our homeowners’ insurance as well and there was no added fee under our coverage.</p>

<p>I’m curious how a laptop is covered under my homeowners’ insurance, when the kid is in AL, is not the homeowner, we’re in another state altogether, and the theft/loss would occur elsewhere. I mean, great, hadn’t thought of this, but just curious how it works… I have Liberty Mutual.</p>

<p>I would buy a policy from CSI or NSSI before I’d add computers on to my homeowner’s insurance or buy tracking devices.</p>

<p>You can find more info in the parents forum by searching for CSI and/or NSSI.</p>

<p>2nd the suggestion of csi or nssi… deductible is only 25 (which will be much lower than your home owners deductible) and includes spills! homeowners usually doesnt cover that</p>

<p>All of this is great, and there are bad people everywhere so it is good to be protected, but just to share…</p>

<p>My daughter left her wallet with $50 cash, multiple credit and gift cards, her ACT card (with money loaded), and her keys in Fresh Foods this summer. She did not realize it until hours later. She ran back to Fresh Foods fearing the worst. Her lanyard with wallet attached was waiting for her. Someone had turned it in with EVERYTHING still inside.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>We just renewed our homeowners insurance and I specifically inquired about D’s belongings while away at school. It follows your homeowners contents policy. It would be no different than you being on vacation and your hotel or car were broken into and contents stolen. For college for dorm living (agent said to buy renters policy if they live off campus) it would be the same. Most of your jewelry is on a rider on your homeowners policy no matter where you are, it’s covered. You lose your wedding ring snorkeling off The Great Barrier Reef, it’s claimed on your homeowners policy. If you added it. </p>

<p>I’m still going to check on the LoJack and that csi and nssi thing. </p>

<p>As I mentioned, if your student is living off campus I highly suggest taking out a renters policy. The owner of the property has insurance on the actual building, not the contents. Renters policies are pretty inexpensive and worth it for peace of mind.</p>

<p>Amen to the renters insurance. My patents had me get it when I lived off campus. I kept it as long as i was in an apartment until I bought my first house. While in the apartments we had a tornado hit our complex pretty hard and the renters insurance covered everything down to the food in the fridge. It is very cheap and worth every penny.</p>

<p>I was not aware that living in the dorm allows you to be under a homeowner’s policy, so thanks for clarifying that. </p>

<p>My S had similar situation with his wallet… and it too was waiting for him with its contents entirely intact last semester in one of his classes. Roll tide!</p>

<p>For all policies, even your own, have pictures/videos of your finish out of your home (wood floors, granite countertops) and make sure it is noted on your policy. They can also list contents including those off at college in a dorm. That’s your electronics, etc. They may not believe you if you said you have 5 laptops, 4 tv’s, etc if it was not noted on the policy. They can even note that your kid is in a dorm and what contents they have. </p>

<p>It’s a good idea to let your agent know that your kid is living in a dorm at x school
and what they have that’s valuable.</p>

<p>If you update your own home with new finishes and such make sure to add them.</p>