Looking for advice

<p>Hello!
I'm just looking for some general input on my situation from others on my chances and what I can do to raise them. I'm looking to apply to VT as a transfer student for Fall 2015 semester. I'm currently enrolled at Tidewater Community College, these are the recommended first year courses to take to transfer as an animal and poultry science major.
BIO 101,102
ENG 111,112
CHM 111,112
MTH 163
MTH 157 or 240
AGR 141</p>

<p>My current cumulative GPA is 3.63 after having taken the following:
ENG 111,112
BIO 101
SDV 100
MTE 6</p>

<p>The last two are single credit classes that I imagine will hold no value when I send in my application but they're required by TCC. I also have BIO 102 with a grade of W on my transcript because I had to withdraw from the class for an unplanned deployment. I'm currently waiting on my transcript from my service for credits I have earned through training and service schools. If you haven't figured it out yet I'm in the military, I'll have 5 1/2 years of active duty service when I apply. Aside from the aforementioned the only thing I could see going onto my application is 3 years of mentoring students through a Virginia Tech/VSU 4H program.</p>

<p>Here's the negative part of my situation:
Bad high school GPA in the mid two's, pretty standard classes with the exception of 3 years of spanish
No SAT or ACT scores</p>

<p>So here's the question I'm getting to. What can I do to make myself a likely candidate for acceptance? I intend to continue taking classes at TCC this fall and spring, but I'm not sure which classes are most important to take. I get out of the military in June 2015 and I would really like to start college at Virginia Tech the following semester. Mostly due to the fact that I don't want to waste my GI bill at a community college when I know I'm going to need all of it to get through a Bachelors at VT.</p>

<p>Thanks for any help or advice you all can provide I greatly appreciate it!</p>

<p>Check out the guaranteed admissions from a Virginia community college. This might work well for you as it sounds like you would be very close to having your assoc. degree by the end of Spring 2015.</p>

<p>"Virginia Community College System
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Students will be guaranteed admission into the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences after completion of the associate’s degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0, a signed letter of intent, and the completion of specified curriculum to meet basic requirements in consultation with designated college advisors within Virginia Community College System (VCCS), and Virginia Tech. Please refer to the specifics in:</p>

<p>Articulation Checklist
Articulation Agreement between VCCS and the VT College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Articulation Letter of Intent"</p>

<p>Here is the link:
<a href=“http://www.admiss.vt.edu/apply/virginia-community-college-system/”>http://www.admiss.vt.edu/apply/virginia-community-college-system/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I’ve looked into that previously, unfortunately due to my job and tuition assistance restrictions I can’t really take more than 2 classes a semester. So it would be tough for me to achieve more than four classes prior to my discharge.</p>

<p>Continue to take the courses you mentioned in the original post. You will definitely need to get into the higher level math classes and have an additional semester of lab science. With 30 or so credits comprised of those courses with Bs you should be competitive. </p>

<p>Thanks undercover, I’ll be sure to keep my nose in the books.</p>

<p>I’ve done some more research and I’ve found that wildlife science major is in the same college as animal and poultry sciences. It also only requires one year of transfer credits versus the two years that animal and poultry sciences requires, and the first year course work for the two are the same. So what I’m wondering is would it be advantageous to apply to wildlife sciences? The idea behind that being that I might have higher chances of acceptance into that program, and then I can change my major to animal and poultry science later on.</p>

<p>@Veteran4VT, I don’t have any inside information, but that sounds like a logical option to me.</p>

<p>I think you misread somewhere. Animal and poultry science is in the college of agriculture and life sciences and wildlife science (now named wildlife conservation) is in the college of natural resources and environment.</p>