Losing at the Ochem lottery

<p>So the chemistry professors just posted for Organic Chem. My daughter lost the lottery BIG time. The other two classes with the better professors are full. She says she can’t seem to figure out if there is a waiting list. However, she is not sure she wants to lose her seat in her current class to risk a waiting list position. She is going to go to the Chemistry department tomorrow to see what if any options she may have. She is also thinking about “sitting” in on one of the other professors classes each day(in addition to her class) because she has the time slot open. </p>

<p>Any thoughts or suggestions?</p>

<p>one strategy i have heard of was scheduling some obscure class that there is only one section of in the time slot of the prof that you do not want so that they will force you into one of the more desired classes. idk if this would work, but it is worth a try.</p>

<p>i don’t think the particular teacher can force you in, though.</p>

<p>surely some will drop and there will be a space.</p>

<p>it is not worth having a known not-so-good teacher if you can help it.</p>

<p>sitting in on the other class might be a good plan, but each teacher handles grades differently, and that can make a HUGE difference. for example, one teacher curves, and the other doesn’t curve at all EVER!</p>

<p>I’m one those among the lottery losers. . .
This is really stressing me out.</p>

<p>Ditto for DS…this makes 3 for 3. Batting ZERO for getting good Chemistry teachers that are TBD. Can anyone shed light on strategy for future of how to increase odds for this? We have certainly not developed a successful one.</p>

<p>Is John Vincent one of the better Chen profs? DD’s TBD just changed to his class.</p>

<p>DD loved Vincent and reports he is a very good prof.</p>

<p>Thanks, Sniner, that’s a relief. Important to get her off to a good start!</p>

<p>That Italian prof is an excellent Chem and Ochem prof. I can’t think of his name off-hand, though.</p>

<p>Future Orgo students…</p>

<p>order this book now, and read it over the summer…</p>

<p>[Organic</a> Chemistry As a Second Language: Second Semester Topics: David R. Klein: 9781118144343: Amazon.com: Books](<a href=“http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-As-Second-Language/dp/1118144341]Organic”>http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-As-Second-Language/dp/1118144341)</p>

<p>^^^ Is that something they will need for class, or is it a recommendation for a good primer to get them headed in the right direction? Thanks! :)</p>

<p>A primer to get ahead.</p>

<p>As we all know, Ochem I and II are major weeder classes at all universities. Limited number of A’s given, lots of frustrated, disappointed students.</p>

<p>Patrick Barber…can’t find on RMP at UA or previous institutions, any input is appreciated?</p>

<p>Dr. Barber was an assistant professor for my CH 102 class last semester. Great and genuine guy. A bit misguided when it comes to communication from what I hear, but it never affected me personally. He taught more of CH 102 than the actual professor, and he’s pretty good at explaining things, but occasionally makes errors. All in all, I was pretty thankful to have him for a CH 102 professor, and would take him again.</p>

<p>^^ Thank you for the info!</p>

<p>My son has also lost the CH 231 lottery. He’s thinking about sitting it out and waiting for a possible better choice in the spring. This sucks! Can anybody shed any more light on Dr Leung than what is posted on rate my professor?</p>

<p>Dr. Bonizzoni is the name of the prof that my son had for Orgo II. Very good. Even tho he’s from Italy, he did his post-doc in the US (U-Texas), and speaks very good English. </p>

<p>Son had Dr. Shaunessy (sp?) for Orgo I. He was very good. </p>

<p>From what I understand, Leung had a learning curve for last fall, but got better in the spring. For her class (and for all Orgo) going to office hours is a big help.</p>

<p>M2CK, you linked to the second-semester version of that book. Do you recommend the first-semester version for those of us starting in the fall? Will the one you linked do me any good right now? Thanks!</p>

<p>oh sorry…meant to link the first semester book.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-As-Second-Language/dp/111801040X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372738914&sr=1-1&keywords=organic+chemistry+as+a+second+language[/url]”>http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-As-Second-Language/dp/111801040X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372738914&sr=1-1&keywords=organic+chemistry+as+a+second+language&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>As of right now, there is one spot open in Snowden’s class.</p>

<p>Just keep checking the class as the summer goes on. There is still plenty of adding/dropping going on, so a spot may open.</p>

<p>Especially be on the lookout near the end of summer. I did not initially get the prof I wanted for CH 231 last year, and no spaces opened during the summer. But a couple days before classes, there was a mass exodus.</p>

<p>On a side note, I realize he is not teaching O Chem I next semester, but I would suggest being on the lookout for Dr. Bonizzoni for O Chem II. I had him for CH 231 and 232, and he was an excellent professor, and very willing to go above and beyond to help his students understand the material.</p>