Madison Winters

<p>Contrary to wis75’s assessment, rainboots aren’t a fashion statement on campus, they’re an asset on a rainy day. It’s not worth trudging around campus with wet feet all day - honestly, it’s miserable. The vast majority of female students (myself included) own a pair and get good use out of them in early fall/spring. Many people also use these as their winter boots in the winter by wearing heavy socks during the cold months. It’s a worthwhile investment. You’re going to be walking all day, everyday - trust me, I came to campus without boots as a freshman and wound up buying boots after the rain kicked in October.</p>

<p>As for Madison weather, most of what’s been said is true. It’s volatile, and it is of consequence to how students operate from day to day. Mostly everyone I see on campus dresses for the weather. For rain - everyone, male and female alike, has an umbrella. I carry a collapsible one in my backpack at all times because, quite honestly, it sucks to be out and about without cover when Mother Nature decides to play games in early fall and spring. Get some kind of raincoat, too. You’ll wear it more than you think. For winter gear, a heavy coat is essential. Same goes for a decent hat, gloves, scarf, etc. We dress for the cold, you’re not going to see imbeciles ambling about campus without a coat in January. I’d suggest getting long underwear/Under Armour to wear under your jeans for the really cold months. I wear this all winter long, and it makes the walk to class a lot less painful (in a literal and figurative sense) than it could be. Winter boots are a good investment, too. It’s over if your feet get cold - get something sturdy, waterproof, and insulated.</p>

<p>All that aside, know that the weather will not make or break your happiness at UW. I actually like that we get all four seasons in Madison. Winter’s a good time in Madison - can’t beat “borrowing” a tray from Liz Waters and spending the night sledding down Observatory Hill or casually throwing a snowball or two at your peers from the opposite Housing neighborhood on Bascom Hill :D</p>

<p>Yes to rain boots.</p>

<p>My D got home Saturday, went into her closet and took out the rain boots she had at home. She put them into a pile of things to go back in the fall. She said the ONE THING she wished she had in the spring was her rain boots. Hers were $10 on sale from American Eagle, not the “sorority girl” as she called them Hunter boots she said some people wear. We did get her the good Sorel lined boots for serious snow before she went up. Lots of walking around campus, which she loved, she lost weight her first year! She loved the changes in weather.</p>

<p>I almost never agree with Novaparent, but he/she is right on this. Winters are cold, very cold especially for someone coming from another part of the country. There are days when 15 degrees feels balmy. The cold comes early and stays late. It rains in the spring (no surprise) is frequently cool in April and May, and it is often gray. I know that Barrons can cite data showing that it is as gray in DC, where I was from before I came to Madison, but nevertheless it seems to be depressingly gray here often. It is windy, but no so much on campus. I live right off Lake Monona and waiting for the bus when it is -6 degrees out, as it was one day this past winter, by the Dane County Courthouse and having the wind come whipping off the lake can be very trying. </p>

<p>Make no mistake, it is cold. You can get used to it, but unless you are an outdoor type person, you never get to like it. I have now been here for over six years, and the winter weather is the part I like least. I can see why so many midwesterners head off to Florida, California, or Arizona as soon as they can.</p>

<p>Thanks for your honesty, tsdad.</p>

<p>Yes, for an old man (no offense) it can be too cold. Young folks are more fit and adapt more quickly and not as easily wimped out by the cold.</p>

<p>I see. If you disagree with barrons on something as objective as the weather – IT IS COLD IN MADISON! – you’re just a wimp. Now I get it.</p>

<p>Yes, now you get it. Not. If you got it you would not still be hanging around an area where you have no known interest other than being a ■■■■■.
Ta ta.</p>

<p>OTOH today it is bright and sunny but a little cool. Actually by one traditional measure summer has already begun here. It seems half the campus streets are closed for road work and building. As they say: there are two seasons in Wisconsin–summer and road repair.</p>

<p>Darn–I blew the joke. It’s “winter” and road repair.</p>