Major help

<p>I applied to University of Miami and am hoping to get in, but I also applied to NYU. Now, I'm still unsure about whether I want to pursue dentistry or marine science (I know they are very different) but I was wondering whether I should double major at UM with marine biology and a pre-professional dentistry program or should I just attend NYU with a pre-professional dentistry program (assuming I get into both)?</p>

<p>At UM, pre-dent is not actually a major – just a track. This means that you can major in anything you like, while staying on that track and completing the requirements for dental school</p>

<p>Regardless, I would suggest that you do whatever offers you the most options. It’s better to leave your options open than look back in 5 years and wish you had done something differently.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>I went to NYU and my son attended UM for 2 1/2 years. They are very different schools. If both offer you good options major wise, then it’s important to figure out whether you want to live in the middle of NYC’s Greenwich Village or in the tropics of Coral Gables. Are you a city person or a beach person? Warm weather or cold? Like to drive everywhere vs. walking or taking the subway? I loved going to NYU. If I can answer any specific questions for you about the schools, I would be happy to.</p>

<p>I really loved University of Miami. I have visited it, and so far its probably my number 1 choice. However, now i’m having doubts because i’m unsure about what career option I want - marine biologist or orthodontist. I feel like if I do end up pursuing dentistry, NYU would be a better school because the dental school is one of the top, and I hear if you major in pre-dental there you have a better shot at getting in there dental school. BUT University of Miami is a great school and offers both marine biology and pre-dent program. Any insight?</p>

<p>If you decide on Marine Biology then UM would be the way to go. If it’s orthodontics then NYU would be the best choice. I think you have to decide which path you are more passionate about. Just as a side note, our orthodontist is a professor at NYU and he’s amazing. I can imagine he teaches a fun class.</p>

<p>Do you think if I took the pre-dental track UM offers I would have a good shot at getting into NYU? Because, again, I am totally torn between Marine Biologist and Orthodontist. Marine Biologist is more passion, while being an orthodontist would be the more practical job…a lot more money, and very flexible hours.</p>