Major in Communication!! It's safe

<p>We all know that the field of journalism is shaky right now. Newspapers and magazines are going digital...and many online writers are freelance contributors.</p>

<p>With that being said, I feel like a degree in Communication is best. A Communication major could work in many fields...Journalism, Public Relations, Business Marketing, broadcast journalism, radio, film, human resources, events and trade shows, the list goes on and on. If 10 years from now you change fields your degree would most likely still be relevant to your career.</p>

<p>Lastly, you could almost supplement a degree in Communication with a minor ;)</p>

<p>That is what I am hoping for.
I am going for a BA in art with a minor in mass communications.
And I thoroughly enjoy the subjects.</p>

<p>I felt the same way; the landscape of Journalism is changing, and by majoring in Communications, you kind of have a drop-back. </p>

<p>If you really want to stay on top of it, though? Blog. Learn SEO. Get .edu link-backs. The more you learn now, the better. No joke. </p>

<p>(Read my MCC student blog: [Carlos</a> Sandoval’s Student Blog](<a href=“http://www.miracosta.edu/apps/blogs/csandoval/]Carlos”>MiraCosta College | 404) )</p>

<p>I definitely agree with you, SMCguy. The degree is applicable in many, many fields so that makes it very flexible in terms of career choice. I do plan on supplementing my communication (or Media Studies) degrees with a minor area of study (or even double major).</p>

<p>BTW, I see you posting around the UC transfers forum a lot. What UC’s are you eying?</p>

<p>If you major in communications, then would a minor in linguistics be beneficial or would it be better to have a minor in political science?</p>

<p>I’ve always felt this way. People like to laugh at communications majors, but I always liked it because it opens you up to many, many opportunities instead of just a few. </p>

<p>And it’s true, learn to blog and create websites. Even if you’re offered a job as a reporter or producer there’s a good chance that job description might include doing work for the station/company’s website too. In fact, I need to be thinking of taking some of those computer science classes myself…</p>

<p>hee hee this makes me really happy because i was so nervous a comm degree would be useeless. i plan on double majoring in business just to be safe too. i love this thread lol</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>If you know what you want to do with a certain degree then that degree’s not useless. However, if you have no idea what you want to do with a certain degree and/or it’s not something you would truly like to do then it might be useless.</p>

<p>Hi guys,</p>

<p>I’m a year out of college (majored in public relations) and am now a communications professional. Let me ease your anxiety over “choosing.” </p>

<p>If you major in journalism, that doesn’t mean you’re locked into that career path. Any type of communications major will prepare you for a broad spectrum of opportunities within the communications world. If you want to specialize in an area, then go ahead and go for that PR, journalism or advertising degree. But don’t go into it thinking you’ll be locked into that path for life. They’re all related. </p>

<p>And yes, certain degrees may better prepare you in terms of maneuvering through specific environments (for example, you may get a better idea of agency life with an advertising degree than a degree in journalism), but that doesn’t necessarily close the door to other job opportunities.</p>

<p>Do what you love and do it well. And if you’re going into comms, just make sure to focus on your writing skills. That’ll be the most important, no matter which path you choose.</p>

<p>Best of luck.</p>

<p>I’d venture to say that a degree in communications is a bit <em>too</em> general. If you know you want a job in the journalism field, you’d probably be better off with an actual journalism degree</p>

<p>What’s even better about the journalism field now is that with the ability to blog and promote yourselves, you can work right out of college. No longer do you need to waste 100,000+ dollars on a graduate education in journalism. Its not necessary.</p>

<p>Hi journalyism,</p>

<p>I have a few questions about the various majors/minor and possible careers. I’m beginning the application process now (for undergrad, rising senior in high school) and am overwhelmed at not only career options, but also just university options. </p>

<p>Ultimately, I want to be working with media, post-grad - whether it’s print or broadcast or whatever. However, I don’t want to just major in journalism, undergrad or grad, to limit my career options. I’ve heard people say to major in something broad undergrad, like marketing, psychology, or public relations, over communications/journalism in order to keep more doors open. And I’d like to have a lot of options and not put all my eggs in one basket, but also not waste time with a degree I may not use. </p>

<p>On top of that, I’m lost on where to apply. I’d like to go to a school that has connections in the media world, but not a huge school. I live in Pennsylvania and am looking at Boston College, Georgetown, Lehigh, Wesleyan and Villanova - and possibly Penn State. I do want a liberal arts education at a smaller school, but I am also interested in establishing connections and getting my foot in the door. I know there are schools that specialize and are known for their communications programs. Should I take a chance and apply at one of those or keep my choices?</p>