Make sure to deposit Bama Cash

<p>I was reading the textbook thread and wanted to post this there, but realized it probably deserved its own thread.</p>

<p>Students will get a Dining Dollars deposit on their ACT card, but you have to deposit Bama Cash onto the ACT card yourself.</p>

<p>I know this because son’s friend went to do laundry for the first time, and he didn’t have money on his ACT card to do it. Son, being a good friend, swiped his and spotted him the money for the laundry.</p>

<p>As many professors will not list textbooks until the first couple of days, or even the first week of school, it’s a good idea to have some money on the ACT card so your child can purchase a last minute textbook at the SUPESTORE. </p>

<p>I know everybody wants to save money by buying books early from Amazon and finding used deals, but unfortunately, some professors will use specific, hard to find, even older editions, and it is easier for your child to run to the SUPESTORE and pick them up. Happily, the SUPESTORE does not do a big markup on their texts, and of course, there’s the convenience factor of not having to ship things to Paty and hope your child gets around to picking the book up.</p>

<p>You can add money to Bama Cash online using your credit card. I suggest starting with 200 bucks, as some of those science books are over a hundred, and you’ll have money left over for laundry and other things that don’t use Dining Dollars.</p>

<p>If you feel uncomfortable putting a lot of Bama Cash on their ACT card, you can also get them a low limit, $500, credit card through Alabama Credit Union. Son has used this at the SUPESTORE when he didn’t have enough money on his ACT card for a necessary purchase. He also used this credit card for his Target runs.</p>

<p>Hoping everyone is enjoying their summer. Hard to believe the kids will be back on campus in a little over a month!</p>

<p>Thanks for the tip. I was thinking we needed to do that but it slipped my mind. I know what you mean about the books. I spent a few days hunting around online and in the end just ordered mostly used for the store. My son is mostly taking those intro engineering classes and I figured he could sell them back at the end of the semester. His Cherm book is completely out so I guess he will have to follow up on that whe he gets to school. He can just buy it when they come in.</p>

<p>I never thought about using bama cash for the supe store. I wasn’t really going to put too much money on it as I thought my son could use his debit card. But that can get nutty keeping track of actual school expenses that I would normally pay for and the ‘fun’ stuff he would be responsible for. Thanks again for the reminder. Four weeks and counting as my son will be going down for marching band camp.</p>

<p>They can use their debit card at the Supe Store as well.</p>

<p>Thank you for the information. Do we add the money now? Or next week when we get our bill?</p>

<p>Another question: When the kids are at Alabama Action are they using their meals from their meal plan?</p>

<p>The Bama Cash is added through the ACT card menu on mybama. It is independent of the student bill. That’s why I mentioned this, because a lot of people think they’re done when they pay the student bill, and then when the kid goes to swipe their ACT card to do their laundry, surprise, no money there!</p>

<p>As for Alabama Action, just asked son. Kids were fed as part of the program and did not have to swipe their card. Lunch was on site where they were working, and they rotated meals at different restaurants and picnic type settings. Son said they just let them in to have their breakfast. So, no, meals won’t start to be deducted during Alabama Action. The fee you pay for AA covers your meals, so kids don’t have to pay anything to eat.</p>

<p>While on the subject, kids worked in groups on their AA project, but there were three groups for eating, so kids were able to make friends not just in their small project group, but also as part of their “dining club”. One club went to one restaurant, while another club went to another restaurant, so one establishment wasn’t bombarded with over 100 kids at once. I remember son telling us he went to Mugshots and Mellow Mushroom. I think there was a picnic at the Rec Center that all attended, if I remember correctly. </p>

<p>It was a great program, and son is actually rooming next year with three other kids he met at Alabama Action, all in the same major, as they remained friends past the AA experience.</p>

<p>Montegut: Thank you so much for all of the info. It is exactly what I needed to know. My D is so excited to begin her adventure at UA. She will be there for AA with one of her roommates. They met at the CBHP interviews and both made it into the program. It is hard to believe that we will drive her there in one month.</p>

<p>Cuttle fish–your d will meet my d, Kari who is now a sophomore and one of the Alabama Action students leaders this year. She loved AA so much she applied to be a student leader this year. </p>

<p>Hi Montegut – !!</p>

<p>Thanks for the tip montegut, I had no idea. I assumed he could just charge anything to his card and we would be billed. So, in order for him to charge anything it sufficient funds have to be deposited on his action card? Does the money roll over to the next semester if you don’t use it?</p>

<p>Hi mom of four and Kari! I will tell D to introduce herself as Li’l Cuttlefish! Ha! Ha! Sounds like Kari loves AA. I can see my D as a volunteer/student leader for AA next year. Can Kari volunteer every year for AA? </p>

<p>Do you know what the students will be doing this year for AA? I am so excited for all of the students. Bama is a very special place. My H wants to move to T-town. But we have a rising 9th grade girl and she has her schooling and dance.</p>

<p>I think we need a little more advice from the experts. My daughter will already have a debit card (and we have access that allows us to deposit into her checking account) and a credit card for emergencies. Despite being a NMF, she can’t seem to keep her checking account balanced and we are hesitant to add a 2nd account she has to keep track of. So what might be a bare minimum we could keep in the Bama Cash account and are there any other places besides laundry that she might need to use it?</p>

<p>*Does the money roll over to the next semester if you don’t use it? *</p>

<p>Yes!</p>

<p>and to the next year as well.</p>

<p>*So what might be a bare minimum we could keep in the Bama Cash account and are there any other places besides laundry that she might need to use it? *</p>

<p>We never kept a whole bunch in this acct. My kids really just used it for laundry.</p>

<p>WhitLo,</p>

<p>If she plans on using her debit card for most purchases then I’d simply load $20 on Bama Cash for laundry and add as needed throughout the year. Your daughter can even load the Bama Cash online using her debit card when she needs to. The deposits are instantaneous and available for use right away.</p>

<p>It does come in handy for laundry (also cheaper than paying with coins) and is also used if you need to use a copier/printer at one of the libraries or labs. And while it can be used for other things, there really isn’t anything else it does that a debit/credit card can’t do.</p>

<p>BTW, for those who don’t know. You can keep track of your meal plan, dining dollars, and Bama Cash on the act card website. You can also make a deposit to Bama Cash on this website. <a href=“https://alabama.blackboard.com/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp[/url]”>https://alabama.blackboard.com/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Publix recently introduced a student/parent reloadable gift card. I got one when I visited my parents in South Carolina. You can load funds on it and keep track of how much is left. We thought this was an awesome idea. My son will live in the Bluffs this year, so he and his roommates will need to visit Publix regularly.</p>

<p>Here’s the information about the reloadable card…</p>

<p>[Publix</a> Gift Cards](<a href=“http://www.publix.com/services/gift/GiftCertificates.do]Publix”>http://www.publix.com/services/gift/GiftCertificates.do)</p>

<p>^^^my neighbor got D one of those for a graduation gift last year. I held onto mine & reloaded it quite a few times. Very helpful although I think this year we are going to just put money on her debit card monthly so she gets a better feel for an adult budget.</p>

<p>The minimum one can deposit on an Action Card online is $10. I only use Bama Cash for laundry and copies, so I rarely have more than $20 on it.</p>

<p>It is so nice to hear these things about AA! One of my roommates and I are doing together, and I am so excited! Can’t believe it’ll be starting in about a month!</p>

<p>Glad to hear that Bama Cash isn’t really necessary…between credit and debit cards, I don’t need another means of spending too much money.</p>

<p>^^^Just make sure you put money on it for your laundry, though, Regina. </p>

<p>Unless a debit card can be used for laundry, too? Maybe someone can answer that question.</p>

<p>I don’t think a debit card can be used for laundry…</p>

<p>I think you have to use Bama Cash.</p>

<p>How much does laundry cost per load or cycle? I havent been to BB yet so I dont really know much about extra costs, however, i am in the process of trying to put together a budget so any info would be helpful!</p>

<p>You can’t pay for laundry with a debit/credit card, likely because of the transaction fees.</p>

<p>Laundry costs $2; $1 for the washer and $1 for 60 minutes of drying ($0.25 for each additional 15 minutes) if paying with Bama Cash. If paying with quarters, a load of laundry costs $2.50.</p>