Marching Band?

<p>Is anyone interested in joining the Marching band?
Members get free books for the year. You also get to move in a week before all the other freshmen and avoid the rush. I'm about to be a senior in the band and it was the best decision I've ever made here!</p>

<p>Heyyy CanesGirl12
I’m an incoming freshman this fall, and I’m interested in joining the marching band!
I have two years of experience in the high school concert band, but none towards the marching band. I was a percussionist in my school concert band and I usually play the glockenspiel and the bass drum, I’m not very experienced at playing the snare drum , but I can always learn and practice more.
However, is it okay for me to pick up another instrument during the year? I actually want to try playing trumpet but I never have the chance to play it in my my high school (due to the excess amount of trumpet players…)</p>

<p>Also, I have some questions about joining the band
-How much time do I approximately have to spend on the band practices weekly?
-How much do I have to spend on the uniform and to attend those football games, shows and etc.? I can’t spend too much because my family is not rich…
-What do you mean by ‘free books’? Do you mean free textbooks or just free music practice books? (I hope you mean free textbooks! I’ll be thrilled!:smiley: )
-ALSOOO, as an international student, I can’t move in a week earlier… I’m just going to arrive in Miami on the 14th of August, is it alright?
Hope to see you guys soon! :)</p>

<p>-Ellen
(just seach my cc username on skype if you want to contact me!)</p>

<p>Ellen,</p>

<p>practices are 6 hours/week plus game days. Game days are usually about 8-9 hours, which seems like a lot, but most people go to the 4-5 hour football game anyway, so it’s not too bad. There is also band camp before classes start, which is 12 hours/day. It’s a little grueling, but I never marched before college and still didn’t find it too bad.</p>

<p>There are some minor fees for uniform and instrument rental. I think it’s around $75-$100, but I’m not sure.</p>

<p>“free books” does mean free textbooks.</p>

<p>I think band camp this year starts August 13th and drumline auditions are the day before. If you email <a href=“mailto:bands@miami.edu”>bands@miami.edu</a> they can give you more specific information about it. I’m not exactly sure how those auditions work.</p>

<p>I hope this helps</p>

<p>bump. You can still join the band after the school year starts.</p>