Marine bio undergrad

<p>Do undergrads in marine sciences stay on the coral gables campus or do they just stay at RSMAS full time?</p>

<p>Coral gables campus. According to the tour of the rosenstiel campus, the only time you’ll be there is if you’re helping with research or maybe for a couple higher level classes</p>

<p>Alright thanks! Do students get to go out to the field a lot though?</p>

<p>That I’m not sure of, since in hoping to be UMiami class of 2016, but you can talk to others on here about it.</p>

<p>Isabella: it depends on the classes you take. You can get by just taking the classes that stay in the classroom. But I have a friend who takes these crazy research diving courses every semester that have her out diving every weekend (for the class!) RSMAS known as one of the best marine science schools in the world, so if you get in, be sure to take advantage of it.</p>

<p>As has been pointed out, most classes are on main campus. The Marine Sciences department does make an effort to get you into the water and into the laboratory though. There are ample opportunities to volunteer for research projects (many out at Rosenstiel) as well as the classes that are research/collection oriented. Additionally, depending on your diving skills and certifications, you can get the research diver certification and then become part of the diving cohort that gets out collecting for various RSMAS projects.</p>

<p>Thank you so much!! I am trying to base my decision off which school gets me in the water the most! I love it!</p>

<p>Marinebio444, that’s not correct.</p>

<p>MSC111, which is the intro to marine science course (the first course all msc majors should sign up for) has a lab that’s held at RSMAS once per week. There were also a handful of field trips such as the seaquarium, mattheson hammock and the aplysia research facility.</p>

<p>Also, when I took MSC, the professors took us on a free snorkeling trip on the Saturday of the first week of class.</p>

<p>Obviously you’ll be at RSMAS more often if you sign up for research (which is very easy, as msc majors are on a mailing list that are given TONS of opportunities), but you WILL be in the water from day one.</p>

<p>Plus, you coud just hang out at RSMAS. The shuttle is free and runs like twice an hour between the campuses. The library there is much nicer than Richter imo.</p>

<p>Thanks so much! Are you a marine science major?</p>

<p>I agree about the library. My daughter always uses that one because it is much nicer and also much less crowded. She even says the staff there brings around candy and cookies on occassion to all the studying students!</p>

<p>Lol yes, the cookie and candy thing is true too. The staff is exceedingly nice, which is a welcome change from some of the bureaucratic snoots staffing the main campus.</p>

<p>I was a MS major a couple of years ago, but transferred for financial purposes.</p>

<p>My experience with UM was up and down, but I’d say it’s probably the best overall place to study MS in the world.</p>

<p>It has the facilities, the field, the social life and the networking that make it unbeatable. If you’re set on MS, you’re not going to find a school with as much to offer as UM.</p>

<p>The new RSMAS freshmen class has even more impressive credentials this year than ever.
13 Singers!!! Wow! Read below:</p>

<p>Incoming Undergraduate Student Body Offers Impressive Credentials</p>

<p>New crop of students has highest SATs, scholarship winners, NOSB champs in the mix</p>

<p>[Incoming</a> Undergraduate Student Body Offers Impressive Credentials | The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science at the University of Miami](<a href=“http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/news-events/press-releases/2011/incoming-undergraduate-student-body-offers-impressive-credentials/]Incoming”>http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/news-events/press-releases/2011/incoming-undergraduate-student-body-offers-impressive-credentials/)</p>

<p>During the freshman parents visit to RSMAS campus during orientation a couple weeks back, Dean Avissar and Dr. Hitchcock spoke about the qualifications of this year’s class. At one point I believe they said that for every 30 applicants to the Marine Sciences school, only 1 was offered admission - meaning they had about 4000 applicants.</p>

<p>Study hard and test well you future RSMAS hopefuls!
~Zinc</p>

<p>Wouldn’t that mean that there were more than 4,000 since not everyone who was offered admission enrolled?</p>

<p>Yes, that is probably correct. I wonder what kind of acceptance rate the other schools had?</p>

<p>I thought that when you applied to the University, you didn’t apply to the specific program. I thought you just applied to the University then picked your major (unless you’re in one of the honors programs)…</p>

<p>That is true. I believe if you are accepted into UM then you will get into whatever school you wanted. However, if they have say 500 people with high quality stats that all want RSMAS, then they may raise the bar for acceptance into the university-at-large for that specific group, so that only 125 of them are accepted with some being waitlisted? I don’t work in academia, so I don’t really know how this all works, I’m just guessing.<br>
~Zinc</p>