Match Me! Rising Philly Senior, 3.88/34 Communications/Film/Media Studies/Journalism Major

Demographics:
Philadelphia suburbs, competitive public high school in wealthy demographic, no hooks

Intended Major:
Communications/Film & Media Studies/Journalism

Stats:
Unweighted HS GPA: 3.88
Weighted HS GPA 4.88 (school doesn’t give added weight for an A+)
Class Rank: HS doesn’t rank
ACT Score: 34 (one sitting). 36 English, 35 Reading, 33 Science, 30 Math. Taking again this weekend

Coursework:
All honors (including 4 years of foreign language) and 8 APs: AP Lang, AP Lit, APUSH, AP Gov, AP STAT, AP Comp Sci Principles, AP Comp Sci A, APES. (school doesn’t allow us to take APs until 11th grade).

Awards:
Weakest category: NHS, Had several articles published in regional magazine, Business course interview winner

Extracurriculars
Sports Editor/Writer for school paper
Wide Receiver for HS football team
Flag Football League founder and coach
TV producer/anchor for HS tv station
2 lead roles in local musical theatre productions
Freelance Sports & Music Writer for local city publication
Started tutoring program/make video shorts with music and props to teach history to young kids
Volunteer/Founded Local Chapter of program that donates baseball caps to kids with concert
Student Council, Fundraising Co-Chair

Additional information: Successfully advocated to have HS math pathways changed due to being virtual during our first year of high school

Essays/LORs/Other
Since I’m a writer and have close relationships with my requested teachers (AP Lang, Journalism Honors, Physics Honors) I’m guessing these will all be above average.

• Likely * (is anything likely these days???)
    Penn State
    Indiana
    ASU
    Tulane (legacy)
    NYU (legacy)
    Syracuse Newhouse

Match… maybe idk??
UW-Madison
GWU
University of Florida
U Miami

• Reach *
    UT-Austin
    Michigan
    Yale
    Vanderbilt
    Duke
    UPenn
    Cornell

Looking for some greek life and great student publications and/or performance opportunities

What is your budget?

And Tulane and NYU are not likelies for anyone.

3 Likes

Syracuse Newhouse acceptance rate is around 15%, wouldn’t say likely. Unless you are willing to be in a different school at SU, rethink that classification. (You’ve got a great shot though!)

3 Likes

Ik. That’s why I said is anything really likely these days. Budget not an issue

1 Like

Well, you need safety/likely schools. Those schools certainly do exist. But Tulane and NYU are in the reach category.

I’m sure there are many people here that can help you categorize your list and suggest schools.

1 Like

Which ASU?

If Arizona State University, note that it has published admission thresholds for the campus and each major on its web site. It also has a scholarship estimator on its web site.

You can use these to determine if you will be admitted and whether the net price is affordable to you and your parents.

1 Like

Take a look at Emerson, Chapman, Occidental, Oberlin, and Kenyon.

Another approach is to check out newspapers (or other media outlets, depending on your interest) of colleges that interest you. If you want to go into journalism, it can help to major in areas that will add depth and breadth to your knowledge, and get practical experience in college media, which can lead to journalism internships and other opportunities. For example, Bates College has a fantastic newspaper that gets support from the city newspaper in the same town, is connected to a network of alums who’ve gone into journalism (and who can connect current students with internships and jobs). All of that without a journalism major.

4 Likes

Along with GWU, American and Maryland are two additional match options for you in the DC area. All 3 have very good journalism programs.

3 Likes

Love your user id btw. I just spit out my coffee :rofl:

3 Likes

Penn State Communications is a safety, if you can double major with a CLA major (recommended!) you could be a Paterno Fellow Aspirant and of course you’d apply to Schreyer (uncertain/reach bc most rests on your essays).
You should add either Pitt or Temple as another safety, or another college that’s affordable. If neither is appealing, Miami Ohio Honors would be a safety based on your stats and is likely to match what you’re looking for.
Match: AU, Maryland, Tulane and NYU (due to legacy status and assuming you’ve expressed interest already)
Check out Franklin&Marshall, Hamilton, Denison (look for Professional Writing major).

2 Likes

Journalism has been labeled as the “most regretted” major:

Stunning: Journalism The Most Regretted College Major – OutKick.

However, based on your interest in the field itself, you may want to look into colleges with notable newspapers:

It’s tough to say. If journalism, you have ASU and Cronkite is a fantastic safety. But then is it written or broadcast or digital or another medium?

Of film, that’s different. It’s bio to Chem.

You really need to find an area to focus on or yeah you’d be picking from a list of schools strong in both, of which not all of these are.

On the flipside, a school like my alma mater, Newhouse/SU, puts out many successes due to the sheer volume of students but most don’t make it and like me end up in alternatives - although I did have a short spell behind the scenes at espn, a job that took a year to get after graduation.

I’ve told the story of my friend who transferred to Montana because her parents couldn’t afford her last two years. I visited her. Whereas I knew a few from SU that worked in industry and I had scant access to equipment while in school, her entire class had full access and they had 100% placement as journalists.

The point being - a small, lesser known school isn’t necessarily bad. It might actually give you more opportunities to practice your craft. Of course today, everyone has a phone, so in theory everyone has some access to equipment at all times. And there’s a ton of successes from non journalism/film powerhouses.

Good luck.

1 Like

If you’re interested in Journalism you should have more Journalism schools on here.

For example, why Duke? It should be UNC. Much better J-school. Still a reach. UNC Hussman wins fifth consecutive national championship in collegiate journalism | UNC-Chapel Hill

University of Missouri should be on your list.

Western Kentucky has a great program too.

Check 2022 - 2023 Hearst Intercollegiate Winners announced - Hearst Journalism Awards Program

If budget is not a problem add Emerson.

NYU is not a likely!!

For a true safety add Elon.

2 Likes

You might consider Davidson as it can get you into Charlotte’s sports market. Wake Forest could also get you close to the Greensboro market. Both have active Greek life.

If you’re looking for a likely, have you thought about Susquehanna? It will get you lots of opportunities for hands-on practice, and it’s not too far from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and the possible professional sports available there. 19% of the men participate in fraternities here.

This is a post I wrote in a different thread which you might want to read, as I have a sense that sports communication is an area that you are interested in: Best college for sports broadcast major? KU, Mizzou, OU, Tennesse, Nebraska

1 Like

What about Temple? Very robust media school. https://klein.temple.edu/

Look at Elon for communications. You could apply to the communication fellows program, which gives an extra scholarship and special opportunities. There is Greek life (second semester freshman year). Small classes, good teaching, very involved students. Better weather than Syracuse.

Consider Loyola New Orleans or Ole Miss. Both have well-regarded newspapers and theatre programs. Look at Hofstra too.

Penn publicizes the number of admitted students from Philly so I think being a resident confers a small boost. For the class of 2024 and 2026, the percentage of Philly residents was 7% and 6% respectively.

What is your end goal? Journalism? Digital Media? Advertising? Film writer?

Florida State could work. S21 didn’t get into their T20 film school but loved the school and campus. Penn State with Palm Trees.

He’s doing Digital Media but also writes articles. Works on movie sets. Sometimes acting. Sometimes filming or editing. Their Advertising major is well regarded. He’s doing a Communications internship now.

Honors program is solid and if you get the OOS tuition waiver it’s almost half of PSU’s cost. Your stats would probably be good enough for the waiver. I think there’s a pretty active Greek contingent but not overwhelming.

PSU is also a nice option. If you like the film side the Bellisario school is excellent. S21 also liked Emerson. Good luck.

UGA has an excellent journalism program. I would definitely consider adding it to your list.

Ohio University. High quality journalism program, here, Undergraduate | Ohio University ; and a robust Greek life on campus.