Matches needed: D24 wants warm weather, diversity, and not too much Greek life

US citizen from Pennsylvania small private school

Priority is warm weather, pretty campus, safe environment, caring teachers, and a strong community. Does not want a dominant Greek life. Wonderful, warm and empathetic woman, not particularly academically focused.

Plays varsity girls soccer and is a goalie

Majors could by sociology, psychology, poli sci. Prefer limited math / science requirements.

B/ B+ GPA

No financial aid needed
Prefer a program with some structure to help them thrive.

She likes Elon, but we need a longer list! Goucher (slightly too cold) and Highpoint have made the list.

A GW or American feels right but likely too selective and difficult.

Any suggestions in the South and in California?

Thank you!!!

University of Tampa?

4 Likes

Are Jesuit colleges OK? If so maybe Loyola New Orleans, Loyola MD (can look at other Jesuit colleges as well)? The caveat is that they may have too many required courses for her tastes.

2 Likes

A surprising number of kids from our Pennsylvania high school go to Coastal Carolina. It seems to tick most of her boxes.

There is Greek life, but none of the kids I know there are involved and when I googled the percent seems to be small.

2 Likes

UTampa
College of Charleston
Furman
Rollins

Would she consider HWCs?
Hollins, Agnes Scott,…

4 Likes

These are schools that your family might want to investigate:

• Christopher Newport (VA)
• Flagler (FL)
• Loyola New Orleans (LA)
• Mercer (GA)
• Meredith (NC) – women’s college
• Oglethorpe (GA)
• Randolph-Macon (VA)
• Roanoke (VA)
• Rollins (FL)
• Saint Edward’s (TX)
• U. of Redlands (CA)
• U. of San Diego (CA)
• Whittier (CA)

2 Likes

Washington college in Maryland. Weather is not as hot as the south, but stays warm until mid December and warms up again in early March. Being by the river helps, I think. Greg’s soccer program and a lot of support for athletes. Great in psychology, sociology, anthropology and close-ish to DC for politics. Greek life exists, but small and does not dominate.

4 Likes

Also in Maryland, McDaniel College might be a fit. Only 20% Greek, more diverse than most LAC’s, lots of career guidance, with both social science and business-y options… and DIII soccer (does she want soccer?)

2 Likes

If she applied ED to Elon she will be admitted

1 Like

Meant to say great soccer. Lol

Also, very diverse in terms of race and ethnicity but also in terms of the way kids dress, the music they like, hobbies etc.

1 Like

My son is at Coastal now. Overall, has been a good experience. Beautiful campus.

2 Likes

App State or Wofford?

1 Like

You are all fantastic - those are great options. She would definitely do D3 soccer.

I think Jesuit will work but maybe not Christian / Baptist…

Any others in Georgia or Florida? Anything anyone would consider in the west?

Writing a list now - thank you!!!

Love this! And hadn’t heard of it yet.

Great list! Just curious, how did you have this? Are you in the field or a similar son or daughter?

Eckerd?

No, I’m not in the college counseling field, just a parent. This list was developed by using College Navigator (the feds’ website). These were the general steps I took (changed this to bulleted form rather than what was turning into a lengthy paragraph):

• I selected southern states plus California,
  • Capped the undergrad population at 5k or 7k (can’t recall which) since “caring teachers” can be found at all universities, but those most interested in undergrads are usually at smaller schools).
  • I used sociology as an available major as of the three majors interested in, it’s the one most likely not to be offered (as astounding as that is).
  • I also indicated that schools should accept at least 30 or 40% of the students to eliminate the most selective schools from the list.
  • Also indicated that housing should be available, to try and eliminate as many commuter campuses as possible.
  • I then went and looked at particular schools, noting how many students in the most recent graduating class majored in sociology. I looked for more robust numbers (whether larger raw numbers or in relation to the entire graduating class) and used that as a proxy for the strength of the sociology major.
  • A couple of colleges whose campuses I wasn’t as familiar with I did an internet image search on (California Lutheran and UNC-Asheville I eliminated as not having “pretty” enough campuses, though they are in very pretty locations).

Also, when looking at the list produced by College Navigator, I generally didn’t focus on schools that would have a very niche targeted group (for instance, evangelical colleges) or that seemed more than likely to be commuter-based. I also looked more seriously into schools that I was personally aware of or have heard good things about from the CC community, or other knowledgeable folk. I also, for most, checked the admissions stats to make sure that it was a school your D had a reasonable chance of acceptance to.

Hope that helps!

7 Likes

That is the most amazing wonderful thing I have ever heard - thank you so much!!! I am greatly appreciative.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.