MATH 151 transfer credit and math placement test

If an incoming freshman has already taken a calculus class at another university that transfers as equivalent to MATH 151 according to the TAMU transfer equivalency website, does he/she still have to take the math placement test?

Yes all freshman must take the exam https://newaggie.tamu.edu/faqs/how-do-i-know-if-i-need-to-take-the-math-placement-exam/

As a current engineering students strongly encourage not to accept your credit for Calculus 1. University level math is whole different level compared to AP

Ok, thanks for the information. I was actually talking about taking an actual university class through dual enrollment, not AP, but it sounds like it doesn’t make a difference as far as having to take the test goes.

@gio123 One of the recruiters told me to take math 151, even if I score a 5 on the AP test, for the easy A. Are you saying the math 151 class wouldn’t be an easy A?

Math 151 is an easy A. If you score a 5 on your AP test you have no business at all taking 151.

My son scored a 5 on the AP test and could have taken credit for both 151 and 152. Only took credit for 151 and had an easy A in 152. I agree with @izelkay, take the credit and move forward.

My friends took credit for math 151 and they struggled in Cal 2. I only suggest it because you will take in your first semester of college. You will be taking a demanding science class like Chem 107 or Physics 218 along with it. Why struggle in 2 classes? So if it is easy to you then it will help your entry to major chances as most likely you will have a GPA boost. But if you feel very well prepared then go ahead take the credit. My main point is new to University classes and Entry to Major. @Bayern2016

My son’s experience was the same as gio123. He retook calc with no regrets. He felt it took some pressure off for the first semester and had a solid foundation to go on to ace his higher level math and physics courses. It depends on the student and the AP class. BTW while he did ace these I’m not sure it was an easy A.

This thread however doesn’t seem to be about AP. The OP took university physics and didn’t seem to be questioning whether or not to retake. He/she was just wondering ifthe placement exam was required. It seems he/she still has to take the test but it should be easy. So just do it and be done with it. That will probably be easier than trying to get an exemption!

I have a question for you all, my son is currently taking IB HL Math and has a 102 average. He scored a 32 on the MPE, should he take math 151 for the easy A and boost his GPA for entry into engineering or do you think it will be too easy and he should go for Math 152?

@Quirky813 - Here’s the other view. My son scored 5s on both AP Calc exams. He aced the MPE. He took his AP credits for Math 151 and 152, and started fall term, freshman year in Math 253. He got As in both Math 253 and Math 308 last year. So it worked out for him. However, he did have two post AP Calculus courses in high school, Category Theory and Vector Calculus. My second son goes to another university and also took his AP math credits and did well.

I don’t know how the IB Math classes compare to AP classes, but it’s nice to get ahead a bit in college.

Thanks so much Beaudreau, that certainly helps.

well (if its the same at both our schools) IB HL only has 2 units on calculus… that isn’t a whole lot. So maybe you shouldn’t skip unless you plan to have some review the summer before classes start.

Thank you lessonwitch2. I think he feels comfortable not moving ahead and starting with Calculus so I guess that is what we will do.

@Beaudreau An engineering student at A&M who just completed sophomore year. I do not know this kid, as he is the friend of my daughter’s best friend, who came over with her. This student recommended taking chemistry first year, along with math 151, instead of physics. Wouldn’t that put my son behind since physics 208 is usually second semester? Is having physics 208 and Chem 107 together, with the second semester courses recommended being 17 hours? I was thinking 15 hours would be plenty.
Thoughts?
Even though he aced the MPE, I am getting the A+ tutoring passes for math, physics and chem for freshman year.

17 hours is a lot and I would not recommend it, especially with freshman year’s weed out courses. It doesn’t matter what semester he takes phys 208 or chem 107, as long as they’re both done before sophomore year. And if he aced the MPE he should consider skipping math 151.

@Thelma2 - I don’t know the answer. My son took his AP Chemistry credits. He did not take AP Physics, so he took the regular physics sequence. The answer would depend somewhat on what your son’s intended major will be. If Chemical Engineering, then maybe chemistry; if Mechanical or Aerospace, then physics will be more important and used sooner.

@Thelma2, The standard curriculum is to take Math 151 and Physics 218 first semester, and Math 152, Physics 208 and Chem 107 second semester. Some choose to do Chem 107 first semester and delay Physics 218 to second semester. This is actually recommended for students who did not show strong performance on the MPE. Would your student be behind? Not necessarily. Remember students must complete two math, two science and two engineering (111/112) courses freshman year to apply to their major. Chem and one Physics course accomplishes this. But again, they still need to complete the second Physics course. Many students choose to take Physics 208 at a community college over the summer following their freshman year since it’s known as a very difficult course at A&M. Others delay it to fall of their sophomore year, however, that could prevent them from registering for an upper level course which requires Physics 208 at a prerequisite. Regarding total hours, my son took 16 hours and 17 hours respectively freshman year. It was fine. But again, it depends on the demand of their elective courses and the student’s ability to manage their time.

Here’s one piece of advice: have your son decide what he wants to commit to doing. My son was pressured by advisors in his first semester to take one more tough course - he told them no. His reasoning was that he likes football season and wasn’t going to over burden himself for his first semester… just graduated with a 4.0 in four years, I think the student knows best. He took summer school that first year ‘to catch up’ as well as working 40 hours a week at a summer job, worked great for him. Now is not the time for someone else to tell your student what course load he should do well taking, give him the guidance of courses needed & let them decide.

Thank you @AGmomx2 and @lee6666 for your replies. He has watched his brother and sister before him struggle their first semester with just adjusting to college life in general, being 270+ miles from home, and being self disciplined. He’s affaid to get overwhelmed his first semester but would also take the advice of an adviser. They have his best interests at heart, right? Wink.

So, he and I are trying to devise a plan that will work and we need advise.
The thought is to take English in summer school or both core curriculum electives. He could only do one class, probably English, the first semester of summer school at the CC, if he were to go this summer, but would miss the first day, as he would not be out of high school yet when it begins and we would have to hurry to register. He has an internship all summer 5x a week that would allow him to go to SS but other than that, it is full time.

Also, if he waits until next summer to take two classes in SS (and he will have the same internship) will that hurt his entry to major application?

Here is what is recommended per the website for freshman year.

First Semester
ENGL 104 - Comp. and Rhetoric 3 hrs
ENGR 111 - Foundations in Engineering I 2 hrs
MATH 151 - Engineering Mathematics I 4 hrs
PHYS 218 - Mechanics 4 hrs
University Core Curriculum elective2 3 hrs
Second Semester
CHEM 107 - Gen. Chem. for Eng. Students 3 hrs
CHEM 117 - Gen. Chem. for Eng. Stu. Lab 1 hr
ENGR 112 - Foundations in Engineering II 2 hrs
MATH 152 - Engineering Mathematics II 4 hrs
PHYS 208 - Electricity and Optics 4 hrs