Math Level

<p>To pursuit an undergraduate carrier in the Economics field, what level of math should I do? Math Standard Level or Math High Level? Thank you.</p>

<p>Honestly SL would be fine so only take HL if you are really good at math or are willing to get help. It’s a tough course. And one year of it is the calculus 1and 2 stuff then one year is a bunch of math much of which doesn’t really have real world applications. If you live in the US or plan on going to college in the US, just know that the SL course won’t get you college credit unless your school also allows you to take the AP calc AB test with which you can get credit for Calc 1.
Note: this is based on the experience of my classmates and myself. I have been very advanced in math for my whole life and HL was too much to handle while doing well in all my other courses.
Basically what I’m trying to say is, if you are super good at math, go for it. Don’t be afraid to drop down to SL though because literally all you’re losing is the calc 2 which you can get in 1 semester in college. </p>

<p>Depends on where you intend on applying to college. Students that apply for economics courses at top UK universities are required to have taken higher level maths (+ are expected to get/be predicted 6’s & 7’s) as economics is highly mathematical. However, it won’t hinder your chances if you standard level maths for Canadian/American universities as they don’t particularly care for your subject combination and standard level maths is adequate preparation for the maths courses you’ll be required to take as an economics major. </p>

<p>Seeing as higher level maths is incredibly difficult and would probably lower your GPA/overall IB score I’d avoid it. I understand how difficult a choice this as I had to make the same choice last year (but I plan on majoring in finance so maths wasn’t as important). If you’re confident in your maths skills then go ahead and do higher level maths if you wish. Don’t let me or the poster above deter you away from it. Perhaps before making a decision talk to your university counselor and/or maths teacher? </p>