Math Placement Test

<p>Hi. I know someone mentioned the math placement test on one of the other threads (maybe about picking freshman year classes), but I thought I would start a thread on the test just to get some specific info as DS was talking about it tonight.</p>

<p>Does anyone know how long the test it? Should you refresh yourself on math topics you took years ago before taking the test? What if you get a 4 or 5 on AP Calc (won't know till July) but don't do well on the placement test (not sure that can happen, but you never know)? Should you want till after you get the AP score (but then you've been out of academic mode for a while....)?</p>

<p>I think DS is not looking to skip any classes because he wants to make sure he has good solid foundation. But we just want to know more. Anyone have any first-hand info?</p>

<p>If you have AP Calc credit, you don’t have to take the math placement test.</p>

<p>Also, honestly, I got a 5 on BC Calc but decided to retake Calc II and it was an awful decision. I breezed through it and got an A+ without even trying; I guess it was nice for my GPA but it was all but worthless as an actual course. There’s really no reason not to use your AP credit.</p>

<p>I thought they only have to take the math placement test is their SAT or ACT score in math is below a certain number?</p>

<p>For Engineering : Everybody takes unless they score a 5 on the AP .</p>

<p>Engineering dept provides review packet for math placement test . Very helpful</p>

<p>Great tip. Thank you</p>

<p>How do you get the review packet?</p>

<p>Came in email or hard copy from eng dept, as part of registration info, I think.</p>

<p>I thought registration started May 28… so overwhelmed with work that I haven’t paid attention to UM things lately. DS said that he got something from UM via email…</p>

<p>Ok. Just saw the explanation at the UM site regarding the testing and for what I understand if you got a 4 or above on the AP Cal AB you do not need to take the placement test at this time ( my son is waiting for the results of the AP Cal BC). Am I right?
<a href=“Department of Mathematics | University of Miami”>http://www.math.miami.edu/undr/placement/coursereqs.htm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Sorry just noticed that this applies for regular Cal 1 not Cal 1 for Engineering.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t study too much for it. The key is that it’s designed to place you into an appropriate course for your skill level, so I’d just trust it. And, honestly, if you’ve taken calc the test is going to be pretty easy. It has been four years since I took it but if I remember correctly it was mostly algebra/pre-calc stuff.</p>

<p>Definitely don’t bother with it before the AP score comes back.</p>

<p>Thanks rankinr!</p>