May post graduate plans-grad school, job, volunteer work?

<p>Since we have some May graduates and their parents on this forum, I was wondering what they’re doing after graduation: med school, law school, grad school, job, volunteer program (Teach America, AmeriCorps, etc) and what part of the country (staying in Alabama, the south, or other parts of the country, or even world!)</p>

<p>I know your plans may not be down pat, still waiting on acceptances, test results, interviews, but just curious what you lucky grads have planned for your life after graduation.</p>

<p>And an early Congratulations and Good Luck!</p>

<p>Older son is applying to grad schools for math. </p>

<p>BTW…anyone who is approaching graduation, make sure that you have all your credits lined up and any substitutions approved (and have those approvals forwarded to the registrars office by your advisor).</p>

<p>Also add your undergrad major, then your grad major, if you don’t mind.</p>

<p>Wow, Mom, I can’t believe you’re already going to have a graduate!</p>

<p>What was this son’s major? Was it math as well?</p>

<p>And thanks for the tip to others as well. I’m sure there’s more involved than just doing eight semesters and then walking across the stage!</p>

<p>Congrats, Mom, and much luck to your son! I’m sure he’ll be successful wherever he goes!</p>

<p>Thanks Montegut for starting this thread. This will be great information to know. It might also be good to add some info about what our undergrads will be doing either during Spring or Summer Break ie: work, taking classes, study abroad, volunteering.</p>

<p>My son will be working and volunteering during summer 2011.</p>

<p>My older son is the one majoring in math. He graduates in May 2011. He could have graduated earlier, but decided to stay the whole 4 years. This semester he’s just taking fun classes…like Italian.</p>

<p>younger son is a Chemical Engineering major who is also pre-med. He’ll graduate in May 2013.</p>

<p>Oh, okay, mom. I knew one was premed and one was engineering. Didn’t know they were one in the same. No wonder you know so much about the math classes! </p>

<p>Taking Italian sounds fun. Sounds like a trip to Italy might be in the future?</p>

<p>Any other soon to be grads or grad students out there?</p>

<p>During spring break, my son has talked about working with some HS kids as they prepare for AP exams. He has a freelance writing job, so he will continue to work for a local newspaper. As for the summer, he plans to do his study abroad in Belgium. He is taking two classes for one of his majors. He is also a student leader for Alabama Action Costa Rica, so he concludes his spring with a 10-day community service trip there. He has other irons in the fire but needs to wait for early spring for those decisions to shake out.</p>

<p>Sounds like we have some pretty busy kids :)</p>

<p>I’ll have to start another thread for the undergrads. I’m anxious to hear about the study abroad and other exciting things the undergrads are doing.</p>

<p>Hoping to hear from more graduating seniors, or even grad students out there, who can tell us what they have planned after they have that diploma in hand.</p>

<p>So far, we’ve got mom’s math major son heading for grad school. </p>

<p>Any other seniors or grad students out there?</p>

<p>I just graduated with a Chemical Engineering degree in December. I will be moving to Green Bay (hopefully by the end of this week) to work for Procter and Gamble.</p>

<p>^ congrats uaprophet! RTR!</p>

<p>Thank you, thank you, thank you, uaprophet, for your post! </p>

<p>When frustrated with calculus, physics, chemistry, programming, et al, our kids will gain inspiration from you, that there is light at the end of the tunnel!</p>

<p>And wow, so proud of you! </p>

<p>I don’t know if I’m more jealous of the snow or the Packers!</p>

<p>Wishing you so much luck on your future endeavors and congratulations!</p>

<p>Any more soon to be graduates or grad students out there?</p>

<p>mom2collegekids - can you share what makes a good candidate for grad school in math besides a good grades in a math major? My oldest is a freshman now but planning to follow that path, and I’m wondering what he can do now to help his grad school apps. Thanks!</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>High GPA, high GRE scores, great recs from profs, leadership ECs, awards, research with some profs…I’m sure there’s more, but that’s what’s off the top of my head. LOL</p>

<p>I think also taking extra math classes is a good thing.</p>

<p>Congrats to UAProphet! And a job right away, too!</p>