Mays Business Honors Admissions

@TAMUMAMA have you joined the Mays Moms/Dads page? There are soooo many avenues/orgs/clubs/certificates/high adventure etc to join & pursue, just within Mays. I just had breakfast with my Mays girl, and we were commenting on it. Definitely not ‘cookie cutter’.

@52AG82 I have! It’s great. Thank you.

1 Like

Has anyone who is not top 10% auto admit received BH yet?

@Collegemichmatt honestly, I’m not sure many/any get into BH, if not auto admit. Most are valedictorian/salutatorian or 1-3%.

@Collegemichmatt --mine is Salutatorian and, after reading a lot on this board, I don’t expect him to get admitted

May I know why you think so? if your child is a Salutatorian, why would the student not get admitted to BH?

Sure. I’ve been reading a lot here, including several posts of students who have already been accepted. Val and Sal are the norm in BH, not the exception. So, in addition to rank, the applicants are demonstrating extraordinary extra curricular activities and community service. Plus SAT scores of the students who have been accepted this year and have shared their stats have each been 1450+. My son has the grades, excellent EC, CS. However, his SAT isn’t in that range. I think that may be enough to knock him out of the running. I have no actual knowledge of this, but I have an impression that they have probably also already sent the majority of invitations. You figure for every person who posts here, there are a dozen more who don’t. And we have seen at least 4 who have been invited. This is all my extrapolation on the situation. I’ve also been convinced Mays is filled with amazing kids who will all have amazing opportunities there.

1 Like

@TAMUMAMA great thoughts. I think you’re accurate on all accounts.

And yes, Mays is INCREDIBLE! There are sooo many ways for students to get involved, pursue dreams, find ‘their place’, etc.
If they want Finance or Acct, the PPA program is 2nd to none. There’s Aggies On Wall Street, TRIP and many more. Students pursuing sales or retail are winning all kinds of national awards & competitions, thru Reynolds & Reynolds Sales. There’s a brand new program called Mays Tech-something like that, very cool.
CIBS is Center for International Business Studies. It’s Mays specific study abroad program, which offers The Most amazing trips & opportunities! It’s really nice to not have to go thru general campus study abroad program.
Not to mention the new business school expansion!

This is just a slice of various programs offered thru Mays. I didn’t even mention ALL the clubs/orgs that are Mays only + certificates & minors to earn.
I promise, with or without BH, there are definitely incredible ways for every Mays student to shine, grow, learn etc.
Many Mays students also choose to get more active in other campus organizations, too, do the minimum within their major. And that’s okay!

My Aggie is a Senior, so our time is winding down. I tell every incoming parent…A&M is an eye opener, even for the brightest, most accomplished student. There will be LOTS of disappointments. EVERYTHING at A&M is competitive. Dorm selection, parking, sports pass (if you don’t add it to your cart in a timely fashion), football ticket pull, course registration, applying for orgs/FLO/Greek life, on & on. It’s a HUGE university, sink or swim, snooze you lose. Nothing will be handed to students or assumed. Maturity comes quickly (or you’d better hope it does :joy:).And everyone is smart.

My Aggie has loved EVERY MINUTE, has grown & learned from rejection, thrived among curveballs, and is incredibly sad she’s graduating.

Just my Aggie Mom advice :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

my DD got an email from the BH folks. A snippet from that email says:
“BH will have about 80 students in each class and there were approximately 3,000 applicants this year”. I think…though the applicants are higher than previous years-- who ever applies to Mays may have tick marked interested in Honors (since thats all it takes to apply to BH)".

1 Like

@voda2013 —wow. 3,000. That is double from last year isn’t it?

I know for certain what’s posted on Mays page isn’t correct, it’s on the ‘low end’. My Aggie was a BH recruiter one year, and there were 2,00O+ that applied that year (she saw the applicant list), but it doesn’t list that many. The stats for her incoming 2019 class was avg SAT 1510 or 1530, and graph shows lower.
But yes, 3,000 is definitely a substantial jump.

If your Aggie hasn’t received the ‘thanks for applying’ letter yet…there’s still hope! :crossed_fingers:

@52AG82 —I kind of figured that would come in February

1 Like

@voda2013 —is there a deadline to accept the invitation to Honors?

@52AG82 —I guess I should also ask if anyone has gotten a rejection letter! :blush:

deadline to accept the invitation to Honors : May 1

That’s interesting. So how are they sure they have 80ish kids without knowing how many will accept….

If you notice the wording. It says “BH will have about 80 students in each class”; does not say 80 are invited to Honors

1 Like

They must factor in some kind of acceptance rate based on previous years.

Yes, I think all universities do; the exact number of invitations is generally not disclosed.

1 Like

My Daughter got into U of AZ in Eller Business school and got Honors program as well. This is for Fall of 2023. Does anyone know how is Eller school compared to Texas A & M Mays school or Jindal school of business in UT Dallas?

She is still hoping to get into Mays Honors program at A & M. Lets see.

Please share your thoughts.