Mechanical Engineering Full

<p>I got accepted into the Dwight Look College of Engineering; however, my intended major, mechanical engineering, is full and I'm currently enrolled under General Engineering. I told one of my friends, who is attending TAMU, about this and he told me not to worry because the engineering classes are pretty much the same for the first two years and later I could transfer into Mechanical Engineering. Is this true, or should I start looking into another major? Also, I don't plan on majoring in anything else, so should I stay in General Engineering and later transfer into Mechanical Engineering?</p>

<p>It’s true for the most part. Transfer into Mechanical as soon as possible, though.</p>

<p>Freshman MechE major here, yes the engineering classes are the same for the first 2 semesters and then you get into more major specific courses. Even after just 1 semester I’ve seen lots of people dropping engineering for other majors so I wouldn’t be too worried. If you stick with it and do well your first 2 semesters (Aim for at least a 3.2) you should be able to transfer into MEEN and not be behind everyone else.</p>

<p>Same for first 2 semesters or 2 years? by same… what do you guys mean? PHYSICS I and II , Cal I & II , and CHEM I & II, etc?</p>

<p>Yes. The only thing that may be different is your engineering course.</p>

<p>@Izel Thanks.</p>

<p>Guess I’m screwed if I don’t get in as 1st choice major. I got 60+ credit as a transfer student with okay GPA 3.46</p>

<p>Sobe, will all 60 of those actually transfer into your major though? That would be quite a feat. My daughter has 59, but only about 25 will actually work for her major.</p>

<p>I actually have 69 … No of course not all will transfer… some were prerequisite. </p>

<p>I know 50 will transfer for sure, I’ve finished everything here … I took English 1 although it’s not on this link, it was on the core. Not sure how they will deal with those. <a href=“http://admissions.tamu.edu/files/tapDegreePlans/engineering.pdf[/url]”>http://admissions.tamu.edu/files/tapDegreePlans/engineering.pdf&lt;/a&gt; except differential and Cal III.<br>

That was from the Transfer Agreement I was doing, but I can’t wait til Spring 2014 so I applied regularly. You can backtrack through my thread/post for reasons.</p>