Merit aid changes coming?

<p>^^^They don’t come much more introverted than NRDSON. He wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. But, as you said, big schools aren’t for everyone.</p>

<p>Daughter (rising senior) is in love with Alabama. Nothing else measures up! She will have two brothers there next year. Only trouble is she doesn’t have the gpa for a scholarship. She has still completed the application. Visited University of North Texas Thursday. Daughter proclaimed it to be “cute, but not Alabama.” Maybe we shouldn’t have brought her to sibling BB last month…</p>

<p>3kidsinhs: Let your daughter apply. If she raises her GPA, perhaps it will work out for her. We told the same thing to our son. He has the GPA, but needs a bump on the SAT. He will apply, and then we’ll await the fall SAT session. Meanwhile, he has been getting together a list of options.</p>

<p>She is applying, Momreads. She has a good SAT, so she will probably be admitted. She is our social “wild child” and went through a bad semester her sophomore year, which brought the gpa way down. I only wish they had the whole year to bring up the grades to 3.5 and not just until dec. 1. You never know, though. She has a 3.3. She is a strong willed child who usually finds a way to get what she wants, which was a shock after my two boys!
Her big dream is to be a Bama girl.</p>

<p>^^ I don’t think she has until dec 1 to bring up her gpa, at least as far as scholarships are written currently. They state that the considered GPAs are for 9-11 grades only. My son has it in his mind that he has another quarter to get up over a 3.8 to have a shot at the full ride. I don’t know if UA makes exceptions for these things or not but I’m going to let him operate as though its possible ;-)</p>

<p>“the considered GPAs are for 9-11 grades only”</p>

<p>this is correct</p>

<p>Oh, boo! I guess we have to hit the lottery.</p>

<p>Unless things have changed I believe that Alabama uses weighted grades and even non academic grades such as P.E. This might be enough to raise your daughters GPA high enough for a scholarship.</p>

<p>Here’s the thread <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1395420-how-does-alabama-calculate-hs-gpa.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1395420-how-does-alabama-calculate-hs-gpa.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>collegedadnh, what do you mean a shot at the full ride? Does a 3.8 and a higher ACT score put you in a different category that I am not aware of? DD has a 32 and a 3.75 unweighted but a 4.6 weighted. If she takes the ACT again and gets a higher score is there a chance for further scholarships above and beyond the Presidential?</p>

<p>NCMom, yes, your D would qualify for the full ride but its not an automatic scholarship like the presidential. I can’t remember what its called but its the one with full tuition, room, board, iPad, etc. Its not automatic but for consideration the minimum req is 3.8/1400(or 32) so she’s well within the range, esp. with that 4.6 weighted gpa</p>

<p>The NMF scholarship (full tuition, 1 year housing, iPad etc.) is awarded if one qualifies as a National Merit Finalist and names Alabama as their first choice. One must take the PSAT in their Junior year, then meet their state cutoff score, and a few other requirements (GPA, no disciplinary issues, etc.), as I recall. The scores vary by state.</p>

<p>^^
I think he’s talking about the Academic Elite? That is awarded to 8-10 students who are selected into the UFE honors program. About 30-40 kids are selected for that program, and then about 8 are given that AE award.</p>

<p>If he’s talking about the Crimson Alumni…that’s given to instate students. It used to be given to ONE OOS student per year, but that’s proved to be too expensive, so now only instate.</p>

<p>3 kids in HS…</p>

<p>Don’t lose hope. Have your D apply, submit the scholarship app and keep contacting Mary Spiegel about the GPA issue. If her SAT/ACT is high enough and your D does raise her GPA, I have known Mary to make GPA exceptions if the GPA raises that first semester senior year. You’ll need to send new transcripts…maybe 1st quarter grades, then 2nd quarter. But, requests need to be made early, and politely with more follow-ups.</p>

<p>OOps. My bad. I thought only NMF’s got the i-Pad. :o</p>

<p>Thanks for the info all! We will be very happy with the Presidential and pleasantly surprised if she get any additional scholarships!</p>

<p>Thank you, thank you, Albiongirl and mom2! When my d gets her heart set on something, she doesn’t let up.ever.really. That could very well serve her well in this case! :slight_smile: Meanwhile, we are getting son2 ready to outfit his room in Ridgecrest E and son 1 pots and pans for his East Edge apt…maybe we should just move to Alabama! ( daughter has already suggested that for in state tuition purposes)</p>

<p>I just checked her transcript and she has a WTD numerical gpa of 91.1607, so maybe that would be sufficient.</p>

<p>Saw this online: [GPA</a> Conversion Chart](<a href=“http://inquiry.princetonreview.com/leadgentemplate/GPA_popup.asp]GPA”>Calculate Your GPA With Our GPA Scale | The Princeton Review)
and [How</a> to Convert Your GPA to a 4.0 Scale](<a href=“College Board - SAT, AP, College Search and Admission Tools”>How to Convert (Calculate) Your GPA to a 4.0 Scale – BigFuture)</p>

<p>Maybe it’s good enough!?</p>

<p>Word from my DD is that this will be changed to mirror the NMF change to one years housing guarantee . We were so fortunate, it appears, that she received the last four year housing money from the Crimson Alumni. We didn’t know until after the year started that she was the only recipient last year. She finished the year at 3.925 GPA in honors Chem Eng. I told her she is making me proud for understanding the Blessing of the opportunity she has been afforded.</p>

<p>Sounds like you chose the right ‘handle’ ProudBamaDad. Congrats to you and your D for such a stellar year.</p>