Merit Scholarships

I hope someone may have some insight into when VT provides information on scholarship awards.

My D got accepted, and was very happy as VT is her top choice. However, the only award so far is the subsidized loan for $5.5k. Given that VT is OOS it gets too expensive without any assistance for the school. Did you already receive scholarship awards with the acceptance email (or information on VT portal), or is this something that is determined later? If determined later it would be good to have an idea as to when.

Some people got merit on the portal at same time as acceptance.

My son received a very small merit scholarship with his acceptance.

My S received a small merit award included his financial aid award at the time off acceptance. However, he only applied for the general scholarships so I can’t speak to whether or not other types of merit aid have been awarded.

VT is not known for giving the same type of merit awards as other state universities.

Yeah… My son was hoping for some sort of merit awards. It initially show $2200 a year and then it disappear. VT is pretty much on the bottom of his list at this point. In another 2 weeks, I am hoping he can just cross it off and move on.