Miami University Early Decision and Early Action 2024

@bgbg4us I can’t speak to other schools, but for Miami, I asked one of the admissions counselors whether merit awards were dependent on honors acceptance. Here’s her response. “The Honors program does not have scholarships. The University Academic Scholars program- the faculty make the selections and have $1,000 to $2,000 scholarships typically and are connected with the academic area of study.” And of course if the student is a high achiever and is invited to compete for the Presidential Fellows, they could win a full ride. Of course my DD missed that application deadline. So outside of the Presidential Fellows, the most impact the honors programs could have on merit awards is $1-2k.

@bgbg4us @CStrong73 When we visited the honors college the rep said that they don’t directly award any money for honors, but most of the honors kids end up getting a hefty amount of merit anyways with the automatic merit scholarships, so I’m hoping that being in Honors has a positive impact on the merit decision :slight_smile:

@knk029 That was kind of the basis for my question when I e-mailed admissions. I was curious because my daughter’s honors applications are still “under review”, as are a lot of other applicants, but merit award letters are going out on the 20th. So either merit awards will be decided without regard for honors acceptance, or possibly they give an initial merit award letter based on stats/essay/application and possibly tack a little more on later after all honors and academic scholar decisions are made? I’m thinking the reason the rep said honors students typically get a lot of merit is that the honors program accepts students on very similar basis as merit awards are offered. i.e. higher achieving students with good test scores and gpas receive higher merit awards, and those are also the students who tend to be accepted into the honors programs, but the merit isn’t necessarily tied to the honors program.

hey thanks Cstrong73! we are in the save boat. Didn’t fill out app for presidential fellows. . . . and good to know that the small UASprogram scholarships aren’t necessarily honors related.

@CStrong73 I think that acceptance into a UASP increases the award since it says that on the website, but probably not Honors. I was just trying to say how the honors rep seemed to indicate that kids who have the chance of being admitted into Honors are already high-achieving and will receive good merit scholarships regardless of of the Honors decision, so there is no need to add more money for Honors acceptance. I was already admitted into Honors and UASP, so I’m guessing my merit award is final unless I am invited to interview for Presidential Fellow. I’m just hoping that being admitted to Honors is viewed as a favorable aspect of my profile when they are awarding merit money.

@CStrong73 The package changed significantly because son competed for the Presidential Fellows, but didn’t get it. They took a handful of the competitors who didn’t get the PFP, and made us an offer we couldn’t refuse.

The Admissions officer told me the Merit would come in the packet but it did not. We definitely meet the threshold for Merit so I am calling tomorrow morning first thing.

@September11 Hi.
What are your stats? And did u receive scholarship?

@custardapple
SAT - 1490 (EBRW-690, MATH- 800)
GPA - 96/100
IELTS - 8.5 (R-9, L-9, W-7, S-8) I am international student
Excellent LORS
NIce EC’s
Yes. I got one for 27,000 dollars per year

Did you get in ED or EA?

I applied EA but since I’m international, admissions are on a rolling basis

Anyone receive their merit scholarship letter yet?

@hereuses No letter yet here in NJ.

Same here. D20 received her admissions packet today, but no mention of scholarship. She definitely met the threshold for a guaranteed.

@“Mimi Wong” Did you call?

Per the Miami email - merit letters were to be mailed last Friday. In the past it was a separate letter sized mailing. Should show up on USPS informed delivery. This also somewhat follows the timeline of previous years. I imagine people will start receiving merit letters tomorrow? Good luck to everyone!!!

@mountainmomof3 That’s great. Thank you! D doesn’t always share the emails with me.

@momzilla2D - somehow my DH and I both receive copies of certain emails sent out. It has been very helpful. More helpful (and much less stressful!) would have been merit with the portal acceptance but it does make for a lot of excitement and anticipation! Hope everyone hears soon!

No merit mailing received yet in Maryland. Does anyone else understand the merit awards to be “guaranteed”? This is what the chart on the website says, although it also says that the quoted scholarships are guaranteed to “qualified applicants.” My DD is in the top tier. :slight_smile:

No merit letter in Illinois, either

They guarantee the minimum amount of the range. S20 is at the top of the top tier but no guarantee he will receive more than the $20,000/year. No letter here in Colorado.