Miami vs. BC

<p>Hey guys, after all the chaos the past week or so I'm left with a number of rejections, waitlisted at UVA and acceptances from Miami, BC and W&M. I am a business major, likely in Finance, Marketing or Economics. I plan on remaining on the waitlist at UVA but cannot decide what my next best option is. I received a 29K/year presidential scholarship from Miami and love everything about the school (sports, weather, campus etc) but am worried that its academic reputation is below that of BC. At BC, I would likely be paying full price but I have been accepted into The Carroll School of Management Honors Program, a program that seems to have excellent opportunities and connections to employers post-graduation. Any insight as to which I should choose would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>One Factor would be if you have to go into debt to go to BC.Accumulating significant debt at a young age is burdensome. The money you are saving to go to Miami could be used for graduate school. My son was accepted at BC. He also got into Miami with a Presidential Scholarship , Gables Scholarship, Honors Program and Foote Fellowship. The Foote Fellowship is a huge plus ,because you have no general ed. requirements.He is interested in Marine Science and Miami has one of the best programs in the world so it’s an easy choice. BC has a better reputation in business at this time,but we heard the new Dean of the Business School speak and were impressed. I think Miami is a school on the rise under Pres. Shalala. For some reason, BC’s applications were down 26% this year. In the end,I think it should be about where you are most comfortable and what is the best fit for you , not what necessarily what the reputation is.</p>

<p>Thanks mauswa. I too received a Presidential Scholarship, Gables, Honors Program and Foote Fellow. All of which are very appealing and if I was interested in Marine Science, Miami would be my top choice as well. I will not have to incur any debt to attend BC - my parents did a nice job in saving for college. So it really comes down to - is the Carroll School of Management at BC a better option for my intended major than Miami?</p>

<p>Sounds like BC might be a better choice, especially if you live in the Northeast.Not sure how important it is to you, but we felt the atmosphere at Miami was more diverse. A freshman student at BC who went to my son’s high school came back and gave a talk on her experiences. She said she didn’t like it there stating it was too preppy , too rich , too snobby. Just one person’s opinion. Take it for what it’s worth. You’re fortunate to have options at several excellent schools.</p>

<p>Considering business schools only, BC is the preferred location especially for finance. Years ago (25+) BC’s B-School was in ranked in the 30’s now it’s in the top 10. BC has reached where Miami is striving for; it’s up to you to decide if you want to be part of that growth curve upward.</p>

<p>Have you visited both campuses? (I mean, obviously you visited Miami for the Singer weekend) But the campuses have two completely different feels. If you aren’t going to have to be in debt for either school, go wherever you fit in best. Yes, BC might have a slight edge in the business school area, but think about it this way. Miami’s business school is growing in prestige to the point where, when you graduate 4 years from now, it’ll be nearly, if not completely, equivalent to BC’s prestige, and your ability in getting a job/going to grad school should be about the same. That said, I know you’ve probably heard it from a bunch of different people, but Foote Fellow really is a HUGE bonus. Not having to take Gen Eds has opened up my opportunities to the point where I’m triple majoring in Marine Science, Biology, and Math, and double minoring in Chemistry and Psychology. There are other benefits to being a Foote Fellow, which you can find on other threads, but my point is to think long and hard about which school would give you the best opportunity to succeed and be happy.</p>

<p>We definitely felt that the vibe on Miami’s campus was more relaxed, casual and family like.Marinebio are you satisfied with your program of study at Miami?Did you look elsewhere? My son was tempted by UCSD and UCSB, mainly because he is a fanatical surfer.</p>

<p>Yes I have visited both campuses. BC twice as a matter of fact as I am from the northeast. Another thing I will have to consider is where are my opportunities (internships, jobs, etc…) going to be located. BC definitely has connections with companies in northeast (Boston, NY area), whereas Miami may lead me south. I need to decide where I see myself living in the future.
I was certainly impressed when I was in Miami during the Singer/Stamps weekend.</p>

<p>BC is known for its strong Business. It is definitely better than UM in the business field, and as a university in general. However, UM is on the uprise and has risen significantly in the last 5 years, and is aiming to continue this trend. In 4-5 years and once you have graduated, the playing fields between BC and UM could very well be even. </p>

<p>These are two extremely different schools, socially and geographically. I would go where you think you’d fit best.</p>

<p>Mauswa, I am absolutely in love with the marine science program at the U (and no, that isn’t an exaggeration). The classes are tough, which is a good change from my easy high school classes. The professors are amazing. You jump right into the marine science courses as soon as you start, and the quality of the course content is extremely high. Plus, the required double major makes sure that you have that core science background that is extremely useful for grad school or if you decide that marine science isn’t for you. All the RSMAS kids pretty much stick together (most of my friends are marine science), but the extra courses I take for the bio major have allowed me to branch out and make friends with others outside the marine science program. I looked at UNC Wilmington and Coastal Carolina (wanted to stay on the East coast), but Miami won the hearts of both me and my parents. If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a message!</p>

<p>Thank you very much.We have some questions.</p>

<p>@mauswa The application rate dropped 26% because this was the first year a supplement (a pretty extensive one, at that) was added to their Common Application. I was wondering the same thing a while back.</p>

<p>Thanks. That’s what we figured.</p>