Michigan State Class of 2027 Official Thread

No dice here…wasn’t expecting it since my kid took Chemistry in the summer 3 years ago and apparently her test had a ton of chemistry!
The only thing holding her back at this point is the fact that she might not get a spot in the SMB…kind of hard to send your kid cross country, to a state where you have no friends/family, without having a built in cohort…

No dice here, too, but I even told my son not to give it a second thought when he was leaving for the ADS competition. They’ve already been so generous - just go have fun learning more about the school! Great experience. Great place. Great scholarships!

3 Likes

Totally! The visit alone was so helpful!

MSU is known for being more generous with scholarships if you ask, too. I mentioned my sons other offer and they said if it comes down to us and them, talk to us and we will see what we can do.

Love it! I asked them about National Merit Finalist scholarships at some point and they said something to the effect of “it can help fill in the blanks” or something like that - as if they will determine what a person needs in order to come or something like that. I was shocked!

1 Like

I think that’s the benefit of them being such a huge school. They have more room to flex.

1 Like

My son listed MSU as his #1. If that scholarship comes through, we will be thrilled!

2 Likes

Same!

You son is a NMF and listed MSU as his first choice? Oooooo – that is likely to pay off BIG time! My son chose a school that he is very unlikely to get admitted to bc that is the only way we could afford it in the unlikely event he does get admitted, haha! Hats off to your son!!! It’s likely gonna be a great situation!!

2 Likes

I’m curious what made MSU so special to him that he listed it as his #1 for NMF – it’s such a hard decision!

How so? Do you know for a fact if MSU will give generous merit aid because a student is NMF?

I don’t know that for a fact, and it may be a small one, but I know they are this published:
https://admissions.msu.edu/cost-aid/scholarships/first-year/high-achieving

If you look at the “merit recognition scholarship” - although those are apparently not given to all NMF’s who are out of state, if you listed it as your 1st choice when they get the batch sent to them (they told me sometime in March or something like that), my guess is it helps! My son did not list them as #1, so he likely wouldn’t get much (if any) additional if he switched to them on May 1.

Money, Honors College, Professorial Assistantship, meeting with theater dept about opportunities, AP credits they will take so he can take other classes outside of engineering, etc. He has so many interests and so many of the other schools that he applied to were pretty strict on the number of classes he’d be able to take outside of his major and still graduate on time.

3 Likes

Not who you replied to, but we are in the same boat lol. For my son the other nm school he was interested in is Alabama, and we know that money will be there if he switches before may 1. He likes msu because of the Lyman Briggs program, proximity to home, the professorial assistantship, and the competitive run club lol.

2 Likes

My D did not get ADS either. She is Ohio State bound (where she received merit and honors college) which in the end is probably the best fit for her based on what she wants to do.

2 Likes

You son has really done his homework! If I can get my son to look at a website I’m delighted, haha!!!

1 Like

Oops…I’m very new to this forum😆

1 Like

I was the one that stepped on your comment lol! Just excited to see another nmf looking at msu lol

2 Likes

Me, too! Me, too! My son is NMF, but didn’t rank MSU #1. At least not yet…

2 Likes

My daughter got a call tonight. She’s an ADS finalist. We are over the moon happy!!!

6 Likes