Million Dollar Band Info

<p>Son is honors engineering student and he is also going to play in the MDB.</p>

<p>Question 1: Where does the MDB practice? Is it near Moody?</p>

<p>Question 2: It looks like a pretty good distance from the the area near Moody and the super suite dorms (Lakeside, Riverside, or Ridgecrest), so do most band students walk, ride bike (w/ instrument), or drive to and from practice every afternoon?</p>

<p>Question 3: Does anyone know when new band students have to be on campus for band camp?</p>

<p>The band practices in Butler Field which is behind the parking lot across from Moody. Most of D’s friends either drive or bike. Band moved in last year on Aug. 13th. Don’t forget to sign up for band at registration!</p>

<p>The band practice field is just past the parking lot in front of Moody, across from Coleman Coliseum and next to Arby’s on University Blvd. I’m sure you’ve probably check the band’s Web page for prospective members at [Prospective</a> Students | University of Alabama Bands](<a href=“http://bands.ua.edu/prospective-students/]Prospective”>http://bands.ua.edu/prospective-students/) They’re not real good at keeping it up to date. I hope someone can chime in with the answers to the rest of your questions.</p>

<ol>
<li>The MDB often practices on the field between Moody and Arby’s.<br></li>
<li>The easiest way to get to Moody by bus from the Honors dorms is to walk to Gorgas library and take the crimson route from there or to take the gold route to the Business School (the stop next to Friedman [Residence] Hall and walk between the business school buildings to the quad and take the crimson route from the Bidgood bus stop. Alternatively, one can take the gold route to the transit hub and transfer to the crimson route from there.</li>
<li>I believe that it is the week of or the week before Alabama Action (one or two weeks before school starts, respectively), but am not 100% sure.</li>
</ol>

<p>Thanks… Should we expect to receive info about band camp or should we check website. He received admission/scholarship during honor band back in Feb. but he has not heard anything since.</p>

<p>Also, I think I have read that MDB band camp is same time as Honor’s AA and OA. Can anyone confirm this?</p>

<p>I am fairly certain that marching band camp is the week before classes start…which would also be the week of AA and OA. For anyone interested in being in the drumline, there is also a required summer drumline camp in June. The information is on the MDB drumline website.</p>

<p>I was hoping my son would be in the Marching Band (drumline) but he has decided against it due to the time commitment. He is hoping instead to participate in one of the concert ensembles.</p>

<p>Woohoo! D just received her MDB scholarship letter in the mail this afternoon! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Congratulations!</p>

<p>Congrats Missread… When did your D audition? Did it give any info on band camp or anything else? Also, what instrument?</p>

<p>She auditioned for her concert scholarship on oboe during the honor band. Her audition on piccolo for MDB was the middle of February. No info yet on band camp for this year but from friends who are already in MDB we know that move in is around Aug. 13 and last year band camp went from Aug. 14 to Aug. 21st or 22nd.</p>

<p>I think most honors kids ride the Crimson Ride to practice. it’s hot during that time…too hot to walk while carrying an instrument…save your energy for practice!</p>

<p>or drive (the ones with cars or carpool)</p>

<p>Does the MDB scholarship show up on her My Bama? Son got letter about MDB scholarship at Honor Band but nothing since. He plays the trumpet and is very excited about the upcoming football season. He is hoping to go to the season opener in Dallas!</p>

<p>Also, are there different MDB scholarship rewards offered to students?</p>

<p>Those of you who received scholarships at Honor Band - be sure to read the letter that came with it. Our letter said that we had to confirm acceptance of the scholarship by April 1.</p>

<p>I think there are two different scholarships offered - one for MDB and one for participating in the concert ensembles.</p>

<p>No, nothing on her myBama. Since we sent in a written acceptance it may not show up until it goes on her actual account in the fall. Has he registered on the band database? The only email D has received from band was a form email about Drum Major auditions.</p>

<p>To wdaveo: Are MDB and concert scholarships all for same amounts or do they vary based on audition?</p>

<p>To Missread: IS that the Charms site that is the band database?</p>

<p>She received the same amount for both concert and MDB.</p>

<p>Yes, the Charms site is the database. MDB uses it to send group emails, post sheet music to print, post itineraries, etc. We use the same database software for our high school band and it works really well.</p>

<p>Does anyone know when the MDB will be sending out band camp information for incoming freshmen? </p>

<p>I’ve been very frustrated trying to get communication with the band office. I’ve called 3 times to the number on the band website, got voicemail, and left message and no call back at all. We had been told back in the winter when we visited that we could send in a DVD for the scholarship since we were out of state, and that they would have the information posted to the website in February. Nothing was posted, and no one would ever call us back. Wasn’t worth it to us for $500 to try to go in person, especially since we couldn’t get any information. </p>

<p>I would love to be able to go ahead and get the band camp dates on my calendar, as well as make hotel arrangements. Will band camp start date be move-in date for the dorms?</p>

<p>Also- the website lists a MDB information/medical form that needs to be sent in prior to July 31st, but the form is not linked. I have the immunization form already completed for DD. Is that the same thing? </p>

<p>DD has registered for the MDB database, but has received no communications at all. Frustrating!</p>

<p>I’m also frustrated with my DD. She didn’t check her emails regularly, and missed some opportunities for roommates. So, she doesn’t have one yet, and has her dorm selection date coming up. </p>

<p>Sorry to seem to cranky. I just hate it when things are left undone.</p>

<p>If you’re calling the general contact number, that can be an issue sometimes. Have you tried calling any of the directors themselves?</p>

<p>Try him or one of the others…</p>

<p>Name Department Phone E-mail Affiliation
Flum, Neal - University Bands 205-348-9440 <a href=“mailto:nflum@music.ua.edu”>nflum@music.ua.edu</a> Staff</p>

<p>We’ve gotten fairly quick response from Heath Nails: <a href=“mailto:jhnails@music.ua.edu”>jhnails@music.ua.edu</a>. I thought Neal Flum was in charge of the drumline…but that may have changed.</p>