Miscellaneous Life Ramblings

<p>Oh, and the Charlot (though mostly sold-out) looks a teeny bit like a short Bean boot. I want these for my next pair! :smiley: [Charlot</a> - 71232 - Bogs Footwear - The Official Website](<a href=“Winter Boots, Rain Boots, Farm Boots | BOGS”>Winter Boots, Rain Boots, Farm Boots | BOGS)</p>

<p>@stargirl3: I use a now discontinued model of Bogs lace-up boots (the Jamison) when conditions don’t warrant the Sorels (which are heavy and can get hot).</p>

<p>Sigh. I haven’t worn boots of any kind in years. Climate doesn’t permit. I wish it would rain occasionally…</p>

<p>London, so true about those bootie slippers - and I thought it was just that my feet had changed somehow!</p>

<p>It is interesting to see how the trends play out in different spheres. A few years ago when we toured preps for ds, the girls were all wearing Uggs. Now we see them on the local public school girls, but not at the preps. The prep girls are all wearing knee high leather “riding” boots or (on a bad weather day) bean boots.</p>

<p>My 13 yo is into a sort of goth/steampunk vibe right now. I am wondering how that will change if she transitions to BS.</p>

<p>I heard about the Bean boots shortage from my DD! Her friends in CA wanted to buy boots like hers (I have no idea why) and said that they were sold out. </p>

<p>Rellilou, your DD might well change her look. Mine certainly has - for the better, IMHO.</p>

<p>FriendlyMom, I agree that dd will likely change her look in high school. Being an adolescent is all about experimenting with your identity, isn’t it? I have tried to support her individuality without investing too much cash in a look that she may want to ditch next year.</p>

<p>I’m ok with any adolescent dress code experimentation; I could even stomach a fluorescent hair color. But I draw the line at a face full of fishing tackle.</p>

<p>Parlabane, I love that image. Since GG just dyed her blond hair deep burgundy brown, I have thought back to my own teen experiments. “Back in the day” my mother thought I was crazy for getting a (gasp) SECOND hole in my earlobes (daintily right above the first ones). It was tantamount to getting a tattoo, in her view…“You’ll regret it when you’re forty…” On the other hand, mom was one of the last to still be wearing screw-backs in her own forties. I finally took her to get her ears pierced, and had to hold her hand through the process.</p>

<p>Funny-- my mom was exactly the same (“Why do you want to put more holes in your head? It’s barbaric!”) Wore screw backs until she was 60, at which point she got her first pair of diamond studs and immediately decided she needed to pierce her ears so she wouldn’t lose them :-)</p>

<p>Still, I have to agree about the fish hooks in the face point.</p>

<p>And what’s up with the equestrian look (girls)? As far as I know, Choate does not have any stables, yet the girls look like they’re headed for the hunt. Maybe it’s just Thacher jealousy. ;)</p>

<p>DD has applied to schools with all sorts of different dress codes. Every time I purchase an item for her, I am starting to wonder if she will be permitted to wear it at school next year. It’s good that she has a younger sister who will happily pick up most anything she discards.</p>

<p>@Rellielou That happens to me! When I ask my mom to buy something for me, I’m already thinking about which dress codes will allow it.</p>

<p>@ChoatieMom: Alas, the Thacher crowd mostly rides western. So you’ll see cowboy boots lined up outside their dorm room doors, not the English boots that the East Coasters are rocking.</p>

<p>The other day out of curiosity I looked up local prices for shirt and pant service. I am not prepared to be ironing every day…</p>

<p>I know one no one wears Bean Boots at the Oscars! There’s a shortage!</p>

<p>@booklady123: May I be so bold as to suggest teaching your son to press? I learned very early on and still enjoy doing it. Another tip is to buy “no iron” pants and shirts…they make some fairly high cotton percentage stuff that still looks fairly nice straight out of the dryer…</p>

<p>Oh, believe me, 7D, we are good with child labor around here! I will not be doing it alone. I was more lamenting the time suck of it all (for everyone). </p>

<p>DH wears the Bean wrinkle-free shirts to work and they rarely require pressing. He does tend to press his pants, though. Have you discovered a brand of pants that you’d recommend?</p>

<p>I can’t believe you guys had a LL Bean conversation without me. I love my boots, but my rubber mocs are my favorite shoes on earth. I still remember receiving them in the mail and immediately boiling a pot of water… That was the only way (back then) to soften up that leather front flap so it would stay down. Forget about letting things happen naturally or overtime…</p>