Miscellaneous Life Ramblings

Non-sequitur alert.

I didn’t watch the Grammys last night (too busy falling asleep to one of Rick Stein’s (not Steves’) travel shows about some place I won’t be able to visit for a while.

BUT here’s a hot take: Haim is the best sibling trio since The Bee Gees. Loved Danielle and Alana trading off on drums in their Grammy performance.

Here’s the link to their performance of “Steps” last night:
https://www.grammy.com/grammys/videos/haim-steps - 2021-grammy-awards-show-performance

The official video for the song is pretty good too.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Those sisters are great!

Best sib trio? Yes, I will agree. We saw them in person opening for Mumford & Sons a few years ago and they were fantastic. My fav sib duo, though, remains - FIRMLY - Avett Brothers.

Nice to see you, 7D. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So sorry for the delay on responding - but we had a similar thing happen. School 1: Accepted with a large FA package, right in line with our SSS. School 2: Accepted with 0 aid offered, no waitlist, just 0 AID. School 3, my daughter’s 1st choice school, Accepted with paying full price and being on an FA waitlist, whatever that really means. She plans to attend school 1 but since school 3 is her first choice, she is hoping that FA waitlist comes thru, hence my questions above if anyone has ever been successful getting off of an FA waitlist. We for sure can’t pay full price, and she knew that going in.

Moved to a new thread.

I know they take into account assets, but our assets aren’t that large, honestly. And one school DID give us the AID right in line with our SSS, so I assume that means we qualify for the aid. The cost difference between our AID and the full price option where we are on the WL for aid is far too much to allow my DD to pick the full price option. She is happy with the school she has Aid at, she just would be ESTATIC at the other option.

If you are on the FA WL, they will need students who were offered FA to decline in order to “reassign” that FA to students on the FA WL.

It’s not unusual for some families to "find " the $ for BS when they don’t get enough FA. Maybe a grandparent pays or maybe something the family considered a necessity can be cut. Not saying this is your case, but schools see this happen with some regularity.

Glad you have a choice you really like!

3 Likes

I had no idea the members of Haim were siblings. This thread is so educational!

1 Like

I met one of the sisters at a JDRF conference years ago (she has type 1 diabetes) - she was very nice!

2 Likes

At your service!

Love this version of “Gasoline”:

3 Likes

So good, @SevenDad . OK, you’ve (re)-introduced us to Haim, Phoebe Bridgers, and Dix Pour Cent.

Keep the culture coming please!!!

Maybe because it’s March, but I’ve been vibing to “Aguas de Marco”/“The Waters of March” by Jobim. I’m sure I’ve posted about it here before.

But here’s a link to a wonderful video of Elis Regina and “Tom” Jobim himself singing the song, whose lyrics are much more like a poem or meditation than any narrative form.

Going down this particular rabbit hole, I found that there’s a biopic about Elis Regina…available to stream for free (with commercials) on the Tubi streaming platform. It’s pretty good, if you are at all intrigued by the song/story of her life.

1 Like

New topic- I got the Covid vaccine the other day. Moderna. I had some side effects - I was told you get more side effects if you have had COVID. At least I got it…anyone else on here get the vaccine? Anyone want to estimate on whether the kids will get theirs at school?

The Covid vaccine thread might be a better spot for the question.

This made my morning, beautiful.

And has sent me down the Jobim/Stan Getz/Gilberto rabbit hole.

Which led me to a Sinatra/Jobim rabbit hole, probably because Sinatra has been on the brain because of Allen v. Farrow.

With a crazy YouTube diversion popping up among Brazilian jazz links:

1 Like

Anyone interested in vaccine discussions can find them here:

So…Who has had a Covid Vaccine?

Covid Vaccine Roll-outs in your State

Fully Vaccinated – How or Will Your Covid Routine Change?

2 Likes

So…right now, Led Zeppelin is playing in my mind. :notes: Ramble On :notes:
I love this rambling thread!

2 Likes

Thanks@ChoatieMom!

1 Like

Interestingly (but perhaps unsurprisingly due to the era), Sinatra and Farrow (Mia) get a nod in the Elis Regina pic I mentioned.