Miscellaneous Life Ramblings

or if you’re just really thirsty!

2 Likes

Broken wing here - plate screws and pins holding me together, so sympathize.

1 Like

That sounds delicious!

I found some great suggestions for mocktails on a site appropriately called “mendwell.”

I hope you mend well @stalecookies. Cheers! :cocktail:

3 Likes

Anyone have any good book recommendations? Any genre.

Some favorites of mine from last year:

The Martian - Andy Weir
The Maidens - Alex Michaelides
A Gentleman in Moscow - Amor Towles
The Book of Lost Names - Kristin Harmel
Piranesi - Susanna Clarke
The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue - V.E. Schwab
A Little Life - Hanya Yanigahara (you may want to read the trigger warnings before reading this book)
Bunny - Mona Awad

@RoonilWazlib99 – there’s a great book thread in the parent cafe, and based on your list, your kindred souls are there.

The one I loved (that was recommended there) was Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow. Not one I would ever have picked up on my own, and SO enjoyable!

2 Likes

Not super new but I just read and absolutely loved The Hearts Invisible Furies.

I enjoyed all 3 Amor Towles books.

Currently working on Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow which I am enjoying.

You should definitely check out the book thread. Lots of great recommendations.

2 Likes

I just finished T and T and T. Not my genre but read it based on the recommendations on the book thread. You’ll get a lot of good suggestions and conversation there.

Born a Crime by Trevor Noah is a wonderful audio book that showcases his comedy talents.

I liked The Lords of Easy Money about US monetary policy the last few years.

Any book by Patrick Radden Keefe! He writes wonderful nonfiction, most recently about Chinese human smuggling to the US and the Sackler family’s involvement with the opioid epidemic.

I’m now reading the Splendid and the Vile about Churchills Prime Minister days to prep for a trip to London in the spring.

1 Like

So, when your kid is at boarding school and they have to do a big project/presentation, do they just order supplies from Amazon, head off to Target to get stuff, or does the school provide everything?

Often art teachers will allow kids to use supplies from the art center. Many presentations are online though - Google slides and such - so kids don’t really need supplies.

2 Likes

The Library will often also have great resources for that!

I have experience of only one kid at only one school, but this shouldn’t be too complicated.

Kid’s school provides anything slightly out of the ordinary. For example in Architecture, all the pens, paper, and drafting materials are provided.

We stocked up kid’s stationery supply stash before school started with binders, pens, highlighters etc. Half of it never gets used though since most everything seems to be done online.

Amazon delivers ALL THE TIME, and we use it frequently for unexpected items (sports equipment that broke) and also for care packages (to refill the sneaky snack drawer which gets depleted during late night study sessions).

Most schools have a book store. Required books, school history books, notebooks, pens, and all that stuff. It’s not Staples but they stock students’ most requested items.

4 Likes

Interesting question – one I’ve never considered before, even with 3 kids in BS!
My gut says the days of doing presentations on poster board are over; most presentations are electronic (like PPT, etc).
As for special equipment for, say, an art class – that has always been included in the tuition. Except I do recall there being something my daughter needed us to order for her sculpture class last year.
In general, though, I feel like we buy basic supplies at the start of the year and then maybe amazon over an occasional thing like extra graph paper or something. But by far the bigger ordering requests for us would be stuff like more shampoo, or tampons, or a cute dress for the dance. Because for some reason my very competent daughters are not able to make a reasonable guess regarding their shampoo needs and grab some more proactively when they are on a weekend target run, or when we visit, etc. etc. Instead I get texts like: OMG I cannot shower anymore please send soap! (I am literally flying there tomorrow and the MB family text chat has the request: hey girls…please check your shampoo and such because I’ll be right near a target on Friday!).
Ditto BTW on dorm snacks…I have NOTHING and I’m STARVING! (me: umm…there is still a dining hall unless that has changed suddenly?)

1 Like

Son’s boarding school is in the middle of nowhere pretty much - they have a school store for essentials (laundry detergent, deodorant, etc.) including school supplies like pens, pencils, and so on. He hasn’t needed much from the school store at all and only uses it when he can’t wait for Amazon. Otherwise we use Amazon or Target.com to deliver things others have mentioned above, also Instacart has been a reliable source to get things to him in a pinch. Seems like most of the students do the same, I am sure it is someone’s full time job to sort all of the packages that arrive to the school’s mailroom on the daily. Instacart orders and outside food orders get delivered to the security shack on campus. (that’s a whole other thing with kids running to get their food before someone else “accidentally” takes it). But as far as traditional school supplies, so much is done/submitted online he hasn’t needed much and if anything, probably brought too many school supplies to campus such as binders, folders, and notebooks that went untouched.

2 Likes

Emma Willard has a craft and art studio that girls can go to freely for tinker time. My daughter has painted a few portraits there for fun. The supplies are free to students.

I would love an open kitchen, but I can see the school concerns about fire and knives.

1 Like

I remember seeing the Amazon trucks lined up the street in front of the Mail Room unloading dock on kid’s move-in day. I have no idea how the school would have been able to store all those boxes, they would have needed an aircraft hanger-sized space.
I imagine that it must have taken days just to let kids know that their package had arrived. I felt bad for all the international kids and kids from the other side of the country because I know that there were mattress toppers, chairs and other dorm items sitting on those trucks.

Now the rush of September is over, when we Amazon something to school, kid receives a notification that the mail room has a package almost simultaneously that I get the notification that it has been delivered. The chances of kid being able to make it to the mail room during opening hours, well, that’s a different story.

2 Likes

SevenDad lives!

Lately, been sort of OBSESSED the Nina Simone version of “I Wish I Knew How it Would Feel to Be Free”. Sharing it here so you can also become obsessed:

You’re welcome.

Also enjoying Rubblebucket and SAULT, and The Last of Us (Ep. 3 is gonna win ALL the awards, and deserves it).

Anyway, was pinged by someone on the fencing board and figured I’d chime in on my various threads here.

6 Likes

Always good to see you here, @SevenDad, even if I question your musical taste.

(You know I’m still stuck in the ‘70s :mirror_ball:)

1 Like

Lol. My middle schooler just won $5 from her delighted middle school counselor for correctly naming Dave Gilmore as the guitarist on a song. He walked away shaking his head muttering about those (special program) kids. The 70s are much better than the five years she spent learning to be a homesteader.

2 Likes