Miscellaneous Life Ramblings

<p>We’ll leave the party planning up to D, but will be happy to underwrite whatever she plans. It will definitely include the immediate family and whomever else she chooses to invite. It will have to be a dinner near the school and my instincts tell me she would invite perhaps 5 additional people. Over the years it seems that her circle of closest friends has become more obvious. She is definitely one to prefer more intimate gatherings where she can converse with guests. Works for us. I can say with certainty that something like this is far more preferable than those “open house” graduation parties that so many throw. They always reminded me of a “circus”. So much going on you just don’t know where to start.</p>

<p>We get a full three months off, give or take a day or two.</p>

<p>Since I’m coming from the south, I get a near FOUR months!</p>

<p>Two and a half for us.</p>

<p>Me too.</p>

<p>Fellow BS parents, am I totally crazy? I would have been over the moon with even a facebook post from DD for Mother’s Day. Instead, she could barely be bothered to say happy day when WE called HER. And when I texted her that I was annoyed and she promised to do something later - she completely forgot! Teens are truly in their own universe. Please either fuel my annoyance by telling me about the nice things your BS kids did, or make me feel better by letting me know I’m not alone.</p>

<p>Happy mother’s day, BS moms!</p>

<p>I made my mommy avocado toast. :slight_smile: Not a BS mom, but still awesome and worthy of breakfast. </p>

<p>I’m sure ChoatieDad pinged CK to call me, but he somehow managed to call in a way that showed “Blocked” on my phone so I wouldn’t pick up with the words I always do when his name pops up on my phone. This way, he got to say the words first. We’ve had this silly game going since he was eight; I can’t even tell you exactly what it is for potentially embarrassing him to death, but the gist is that whoever says the words first “wins” for that day.</p>

<p>It goes like this (usually):</p>

<p>ChoatieMom: <says the="" words=""> Ha! I got you first!</says></p>

<p>CK: Nah. I got you earlier, you just forgot.</p>

<p>ChoatieMom: I’m not that old. I definitely got you first. <seeks confirmation="" from="" choatiedad="" if="" he’s="" there=""></seeks></p>

<p>ChoatieDad: She got you first.</p>

<p>CK: No, I said the words as soon as my eyes opened this morning.</p>

<p>ChoatieMom: That doesn’t count. You know the rules. The other person has to hear them.</p>

<p>ChoatieDad: You both need professional help.</p>

<p>So, back to the phone call. </p>

<p>CK: <says the="" words=""> Ha! I got you first! Did your phone show “Blocked” when it rang?</says></p>

<p>ChoatieMom: Really? Now you’re using technology to thwart my love?</p>

<p><hysterical laughter="" from="" the="" other="" end.=""></hysterical></p>

<p>Yep, nothing says “Happy Mother’s Day” better than that exchange.</p>

<p>Mom: That is a green car. </p>

<p>Me: You are a green car. </p>

<p>Brother: You are my green car. </p>

<p>10 pm EDT and DD came through. All annoyance now gone!</p>

<p>Mom: How would you rate me as a mother? From a scale of 1-10?</p>

<p>Me: 10, of course!</p>

<p>Mom: Awww, you’re just saying that. Come on, tell me the truth.</p>

<p>Me: Seriously, you’re a 10!</p>

<p>Mom: No, really.</p>

<p>Me: Ummmm… I guess… an 8 then?</p>

<p>Needless to say, I am smacking my head repeatedly on the wall for making THAT mistake on Mother’s Day. Hopefully, a bouquet of roses and a heartfelt card stating “YOU’RE A 10 you’re a 10!!!” has made up for it.</p>

<p>I got a Happy Mothers Day on facebook chat, probably because he happened on there when I was there and had an “oh crap” moment…and a promise to call that never materialized (though to be fair, I had a question to ask and chatted him that evening without waiting for the call…so maybe that counted in teenage boy world.) However my boy in Europe woke me up at 2:00 a.m. with a Happy Mother’s Day text. Sweet and annoying at the same time. </p>

<p>Silly made up holiday of course. The kids make me happy just by being the good, hardworking, intelligent, interesting people that they are. And yet, one does feel a stab of envy toward those moms whose kids post cute mama-child photos on facebook or write funny notes. </p>

<p>My girl texted me a photo of the card she made for me… I was supposed to see her, but car trouble kept me from making the trip. ClassicalMama, I too am resistant to what I call “Hallmark holidays…” To me, every day is Mothers Day. :x </p>

<p>I don’t mind celebrating Mother’s Day/Father’s Day…though I am not a big Valentine’s Day fan. </p>

<p>I think part of that stems from having spent the early years of our courtship in NYC — where, in my experience, Feb. 14th is A) an impossible day to score a table at one of the many nicer “special occasion” restaurants in the city; B) if you do get a reservation somewhere, they are in the weeds all night and there’s a general “amateur hour” vibe among your fellow diners.</p>

<p>St. Patty’s day is just a day to wear green. :D</p>

<p>Even though I usually go with orange because orange is cool. :p</p>

<p>I try to be low maintenance about it but an unprompted “hi mom, you’re the best, love you and thanks for all you do” goes a long way. And I agree about 2/14 - I can take it or leave it. I’m very lucky to have an amazing husband who shows me he loves me just about every day. Friendlydad is the one who came through for mother’s day with tix to Paul McCartney playing at the final concert that will ever be held at San Francisco’s Candlestick Park (right before the place is destroyed). Woohoo!</p>

<p>@SevenDad, I hear you on valentines day (I refues to capitalize it). Crazy pressure in your mid twenties to have plans that night (for me, this was the early to mid 90s). Now, DH and I give each other a big kiss in the am and make a decadent meal at home with the kids for dinner. it is Bliss, and we have all of the Valentines we want around us without “amateur hour” ambience.</p>

<p>@friendlymom‌ </p>

<p>That is BIG and must have been really fun! Woohoo back at you and what a wonderful husbandyou have!</p>

<p>@stargirl, you are awesome but pleae dont wear orange on St. Patricks Day. That is the color of Northern Ireland aggression and a slap in the face for people celebrating St. Patricks Day. I realize many people are not aware. Orange is a great color otherwise.</p>

<p>@gratefulmom89 Couple things: I’m a bit of an exaggerator (sometimes), and I think I wore orange once, by accident, in third grade. I knew it was the other side, but I didn’t know it’s offensive, so thanks for letting me know! From here on out I will be a green bean on St. Patrick’s day. :slight_smile: </p>